Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Z axis stall

In my experience, I have never had a reasonable bit rejected on the first measurement. Only in extreme case of the bit too short (or bit plate stuck in) or when the bit is measured as different for the second time in a multi-bit project. Therefore, I think the bit rejection must be an electronic data problem. Since it is somehow related to the dust hood, I would check the z encoder. Is the encoder cover loose? Does it hit the machine cover or cut motor wires during the bit plate check? The dust hood and pipe could be flexing the machine cover. Is the machine cover loose?

After thinking about this for awhile, that's all I got. (I am back to thinking both problems are related.)

Have you tried just measuring a board, not through your project, but just using the measuring option to see if you get the Z stall?

If you measure you can measure your board, length, width, thickness with no problem, then this might give us another avenue to look at. If you get the Z stall, A few things come into mind - the FFC cable and/or a z motor problem, even maybe the circuit board.

Additionally the bit you are getting the stall from, does it have the pressed on adapter or is it the split collet, stop sleeve and bit?

@fwharris - The machine has only 144 hrs and change, running time on it. This bit thing happens with any of the bit I put in whether its the pressed on bits from CW or split collets... The bit plate seems to be solid and the whole thing does the exact process from start to finish only when the hood is in it can't find it when the hood is out it finds it with no problems and carries on... I would suspect if the plate was floppy or with to much play in it then that would translate into random 'can't find bit' whether the hood is in or out... no??

@Berg - I played with bit lengths thinking that same thing... On bits with the split collet I tried varying the lengths to see if that would do the trick... nope... additionally it also does the same with the CW pressed in bits... I'm inclined to go with the electronics problem as well as there just doesn't seem to be any reason for it to be mechanical... Its going to get dismantled today...

@chief - I haven't tried measuring a board just going thru options... Will try that this morning tho before I dismantle it...

Appreciate all the responses and help... many Thx....

brian
    Last edited by DumbDawg; 05-27-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Well... went into the shop today to try a board measure test as suggested by chief... but I wanted to make sure I double double checked everything again just to make sure or reconfirm the problem of the z axis stall... I had a 12x24 inch piece of spruce shelving I had that was for a plaque I was going to carve for someone... Put that in, loaded the bit.... it found the bit, measured the board and carved the whole thing, 3 hrs, with no error... still scratch'n head... Tomorrow I'll try some smaller wood to see if the z axis pops up again... Maybe its a 'traveling' error in that its failing on smaller stuff and advancing to larger??

Just another thought... We like to always keep the board under both rollers and flat to the sand paper belts.... When a short board is used, it can let the board pop out from under the roller and sometimes it will lift... And if the Z head is cutting and it pops up, it could cause a Z Stall... Just a Thought....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

If you are still having problems, I would suggest disassembling the Y and the Z trucks all the way down to the bearings. Put a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil on each side of the bearings before reassembly. Carefully inspect all wiring for any checks, cracks, or breaks and if you can, do a continuity check on each wire. Yes I know this is a real pain in the neck and it may seem like a lot of work but, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I did it when I was having random Y axis stalls and discovered that when I had replaced a board sensor earlier I didn't get all of the wires inside the plastic cover (working upside down with a mirror and a flashlight). There was a wire loop protruding from under the plastic sensor housing that was rubbing on the bottom Y rail and on one of the bearings. After reassembly, the problem went away. I'm not saying this is your problem but, dis-assembly inspecting all parts and wires and reassembly will eliminate most of the mechanical possibilities. It will also give you a lot of insight on how the machine was engineered.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I'm not saying this is your problem but, dis-assembly inspecting all parts and wires and reassembly will eliminate most of the mechanical possibilities. It will also give you a lot of insight on how the machine was engineered.
    Amen to that! And we thought Rocket Science was way over our head!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123