Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z axis stall

Default Z axis stall

Yes I have read thru the threads, tried a few suggestions and seems the problem is getting worse.

The machine is a "C", replaced sensor board last year, and it has 144 hrs of up time...

When I put a 1x6 in for a small project it goes thru all the usual, load this, measure than, homing but when it goes to the final, measuring board thickness, it comes up as Z axis stall. When I put in a piece of wood larger than 6 inches it goes thru fine and carves out the pattern... that is until this morning... It did one carve but when I flipped the piece over for the other side carve it failed...

Did sensor checks and the Z axis was different each time, as follows...

Z axis - 1st run = 49.32, 2nd = 48.44, 3rd = 48.29
    X axis = 105.02
    y axis = 62.44
    These were with the tests... before the test the Y = .007, Z = .012, X = -143.281 Board sensor = 0, board track = 1.370

Any ideas?? Thx

brian

Encoder Clear Disk spinning on the Z Shaft.

Encoder is dirty.

FSC Cable is BAD.

Z Motor is Bad.

Controller is Bad.

Z Roller Bearing is Frozen.

Z Belt loose in the back.

Z Motor Screws are loose either the motor to the gear box accessed through the inside of the Gearbox OR the Screws holding the gearbox and Motor to the machine are loose.

If I were a betting man... Bad FSC Cable...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thx Al

The truck moves freely by hand, to the extreme ranges both horizontal and vertical, the travel doesn't stick or pause anywhere and seems smooth. Belts feel tight and there doesn't seem to be any teeth missing. I've pushed, pulled and tried to wiggle anything that might look like it could come loose and everything seems tight. I checked both ends of the cable and its clipped in securely. I have a dust collector hood I built into it and I blow the whole thing out after finishing a project as I know just how stupidly finicky this machine is to dust, heat and vibrations. Funny thing about the dust collector hood is that I can NOT do a menu setup with it in... I have to go thru all the menu options with it out then start the carve. When the machine starts to carve I have to pause it, install the hood, then continue the carve... its the only way it will work...

Anyway Thx for the heads up... guess I'll start by ordering a cable...

brian

The behavior of your machine with both the z axis stall and the dust collector - menu problem sound very strange. Maybe there is a connection. Could you explain in more detail about the dust collector menu problem?

Check the depth of the wood you have loaded in your project. Double check the thickness of your wood as well.

Hi bergerud

The problem regarding the dust collector and menu system is an odd one... I built the dust collector hood and it sits on the truck side like others do... There is enough clearance that the spindle doesn't meet the hood anywhere and it rides about 1/2 inch off the surface of the carve piece. My guess is that it makes it to dark and the sensors don't read properly... your guess is as good as mine..

I can put a piece of wood into the machine, lower head yada yada yada... Pick the project, and I usually know which bit it will carve with so I load it at the start... When the machine goes to find the bit it goes thru the stages then centers itself and says load bit... Press ok several times at prompts... it does its thing then centers again and says load bit... repeats endlessly... As soon as I remove the hood it does its checks, homes and starts carving... At that point I pause it, load in the dust head and then start the carve. I've tried to get it to carve with it loaded but it won't period so I just work around it... Its not a problem with the menu but merely a problem during the menu options setup process in that the machine will NOT proceed, for some unknown reason, while the dust hood is in place... Its a quirky machine at best...

Hope this clears this up... I'm pretty certain the Z axis stall has nothing to do with the dust hood because the dust hood can not be in place when the machine is finding the board thickness or any of the other sensor operations etc...

Thx anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    Check the depth of the wood you have loaded in your project. Double check the thickness of your wood as well.
    Its the same wood I've been using all along... 1x6, 1x8's and 1x12's... so in reality they are 3/4 planed lumber... thickness isn't an issue.... Plus these are patterns/ projects that I have cut out earlier, nothings changed... I even reformatted the memory card, refreshed projects, checked them in Designer to make sure no changes were made.... to no avail... I'm thinking Al's on the right track... yet another parts failure in a quirky machine...

Hi DumbDawg,

The two problems could be related. The z stall and the wrong bit error can both be caused by the computer somehow getting the bit length wrong. How this could be related to the dust collector, may be a clue. I am sure it is something in Al's list. I will bet that when you do find the defective part and replace it, both problems get solved.

With your dust collector in does the bit plate come out all of the way and does the bit go down 2 times to touch the bit plate????
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the cable and has nothing to do with the dust hood. The hood thing has always been this way, as in if its in the machine then the machine won't go thru the sensor readings and onto carving. I have always had to leave the hood out until the machine actually started to carve. Then I'd have to stop it and put the hood in place, then continue the carve... Which it would then carve the project without any further troubles... If I have to change bits, say to route out the project, then I'd have to repeat the process each time... No big deal...

Its the other problem with the cable and z axis stall which crept in thats the cruncher now. It was fine for a carve, then it wouldn't accept 1x6 boards... No problem, I switched to 1x8's... then it decided against, on accepting 1x8's half way thru a second carve... now it does nothing.... oh well... back to twiddling the thumbs waiting for parts.... seems to be a regular event with this machine...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast