Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello - New to CW - I Have A Set UP Question

You do have the scale in the middle of the unit where you can see the read out through the opening at the top and with one roller on each side, correct. Not meant to sound bad, I just know that others have done that, so please no offense meant at all....

Try looking at this link - might be that the head is not level and throwing your pressure off. That is one reason it is recommended that the head pressure is checked after shipping.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...level_head.pdf
    Last edited by chief2007; 05-28-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Also, the head pressure is adjusted by adding or removing washers from behind the spring. Turn your crank so it is straight up, then let it flop down to uncover the screw that holds it in place. Remove the screw and pull the handle out. The spring around the handle shaft probably has thin washers behind it. If so, remove some - or your situation, a most (don't loose them). RE-install the crank handle, seating it correctly thru the torque palate (flats on the crank handle line up with the flats on the inside of the torque plate). Try that on your scale. I think the washers add about 5lb each.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

If your head is level and the problem is really due to the clutch, you can still carve. With the scale and a board, determine the size of the gap between the board and the head of the machine which corresponds to 80lb. It will be around a 1/4 inch I think. Make a thickness gauge out of a little piece of wood. Now all you have to do is crank down on the project board until it gets to the gauge thickness.

Chief2007 - yes, I have it placed with one roller on either side of the scale. I have also moved the scale as close as possible to the keyboard, to the middle and to the far side yeilding the same result.

Cestout - I have contacted the help desk today and they gave the same advice. I was told that there are 4 washers on the handle and to remove two of them. I will do this this evening and post my results. I sure hope that it does resolve the issue because I am eager to get going with this machine.

Bergerud - I will keep your advice in my back pocket just incase all else fails but more than likely, I would request them to replace mine with a new one.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Does anyone have any crackers and cheese because I need to whine .

As instructed by Cestout and the hardware support person, I removed the handle and discovered that there are no washers behind the spring. This leads me to believe that the folks at CW when installing my heavy duty belts tried to adjust the pressure and removed the washers to lower the pressure. However, the pressure remains high and they chose to ship the machine to me knowing that it was out of spec. I am very disappointed! By my getting home late today, I cannot call the support folks so I now have to wait yet another day. Thanks for letting me whine.

If you have any other suggestions, I am open to them. However, I do not want to run the machine until the pressure is fully within the acceptable range.

Let me make sure that I have my orientation correct. If looking at the keypad side the order should be: screw,handle, washers, spring. Correct?

Thanks again.

RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

FWHarris - Thanks for posting the link. I did do as documented on page 6. When I last posted, I forgot that there was a drawing to confirm that my orientation was correct. I plan to give CW call during my lunch time. I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgecrest View Post
    FWHarris - Thanks for posting the link. I did do as documented on page 6. When I last posted, I forgot that there was a drawing to confirm that my orientation was correct. I plan to give CW call during my lunch time. I'll keep you posted.
    Your welcome! Will be nice to hear what the solution is for lowering your head pressure.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm back, I was down for a couple of weeks with a stupid cold and had no energy to work on my CW. However, this week I have been in contact with LHR a few times.

When we last left our cast of characters, I had completed all the recommended tasks; lube clutch, remove washer (but there were none), clean and lube the guide rods, adjust head pressure, and level the head. The last two I refused to do stating that I was not comfortable with (not incapable of) taking a part a brand new machine so I suggested that they either send out a technician or give me an RMA to return the machine for them to fix on their nickle. Mind you, now the pressure was varying between 120 and 160 pounds.

Of course the suggestion of providing a technician (which they told me they don't do) or sending it back started many conversations within LHR (while I was on hold). Time was ticking so they told me that they would call me back which they did later that afternoon. The engineer stated that some of the new C machines had a small barb on the end of handle that was affecting the clutch. I was told to remove the scale and wind the head down onto the rollers and then crank the handle 10 or so times in an effort to wear off the barb. I did so multiple times for the next couple of days. Each time after doing the cranking my pressure consistently measured 98 pounds.

Still not confident that I should run the machine, I called LHR and reported the progress. Yesterday they recommended that I remove the washer on each of the four screws on top of the machine that connect the sides to the guide rods. Not believing that this could even remotely make a difference, I did it and presto, chango, 1-2-3, the pressure now sits at 94 pounds. The support technician stated that a pressure in the low 90's is acceptable for C machines that have the heavy duty belts. He also stated the machine will probably loosen up and the pressure will drop a little more.

I will call tomorrow morning as I have taken the day off and I will confirm that I will not cause any damage to my machine by running it at 94 pounds of pressure. I am so excited, I don't know what to do with my self this evening. I may be making some saw dust this weekend, let's hope.

Thanks everyone for your help. You are the greatest!

Reid

Glad to hear it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast