Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello - New to CW - I Have A Set UP Question

Default Hello - New to CW - I Have A Set UP Question

Hello,

My name is Reid and I received my CW version C this week. I am going through the initial setup process tonight and I have a question concerning adjusting the head pressure step. I have a digit bathroom scale that I used to calibrate the pressure. The scale readout shows 92.5 lbs. I performed multiple readings each time repositioning the scale and all produced the same reading. The manual states that the pressure should be between 75 and 85. The manual talks about addressing low pressure but I cannot find anything for high pressure. Should I be concerned about the 92.5 reading?

Thanks,
    Reid

Reid,

How many clicks are you getting before you stop cranking the head down? As you crank the head down on the scale pay attention to the reading and how many clicks gets you between 75 and 80..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Be cautious using a digital scale. With a .1 of a pound decimal readout I thought it would be great - until I read the fine print. It seems the scale is really capable of being accurate within 2-3 pounds. Go figure! Then the fine print went on to say the human body can vary several pounds a day so don't be too concerned about the accuracy. Quite honestly, I would check it with an old style type bathroom scale.

I agree.... Having worked in the Sony Calibration Lab.... Analog is better for this application..... Good Will.... They will have them...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Walmart carries them - $8.97

Thanks for replies. I clicked twice. I will run to Walmart and pick one up. But should it still read over 85 pounds, is that something that I should be concerned about?

Reid

Quote Originally Posted by ridgecrest View Post
    Thanks for replies. I clicked twice. I will run to Walmart and pick one up. But should it still read over 85 pounds, is that something that I should be concerned about?

Reid
    If it does still measure too high, I think u add a washer somewhere, but don't take this sales persons word for it. Call a tech tomorrow to be sure and carving sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Should be 75-85 pounds. Link to the manual on head pressure.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...d_pressure.pdf

Adding washers add pressure (5lb ea I was told by an LHR teck.) so if anything remove a washer or two (but save them at $5 each). But I would try removing the handel and splaying the White Lithium Spray Grease in there to lube the clutch. Before removing the crank, place it hanging straight down so you can line it back up for re-installation.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks everyone for your input thus far. I have purchased an analog scale and I have lubricated the clutch plate as instructed in the PDF that Chief2007 posted but no such luck. Using either scale (digital or analog) I am getting readings between 100 and 140. Most times when I get the first click it is between 105 and 110 pounds and the second click takes between 115 and 125. I have applied the white lithium grease 6 or 7 times and I have tested the pressure over the coarse of one and a half hours about 30 times. The lowest reading that I ever got was 98.5 (digital) and the highest 148 (analog).

I am so bummed as I had planned to spend the entire day learning this machine by practicing with several small carvings that I designed. Oh well, life goes on. I will call CW tomorrow and see what they say. I'll let you know what I find out. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast