Thread: Shop vac test Erwin Products version C dust collector

Default Shop vac test Erwin Products version C dust collector

I just posted a YouTube video of my ERWIN PRODUCTS VERSION C DUST COLLECTOR using a standard 16 gallon Craftsman shop vac which surprised even myself with almost total dust collection. The version C unit features a new quick release extension which can be removed and re-installed in seconds with no tools or loose hardware, just two snap latches. The version C extension has also been redesigned to obtain optimum suction very close to the cutter. Although the shop vac results were excellent I would still recommend a 1 1/2 hp or larger dust collector as they are designed for continuous operation and are much quieter and will do an even better job.
    Also, I am strongly considering getting a table at the Houston show to present my dust collector. I am dedicated in making my ERWIN PRODUCTS DUST COLLECTOR the best available for the CarveWright and Compucarve machines.

http://www.erwinproducts.com

Located in the beautiful Ozark Mountains on Table Rock Lake just outside Branson Missouri, please visit if your in the area (417) 449-7760
    Erwin
    Last edited by mcQ; 05-23-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Looks like it does a good job, couple of questions. Does this come with the adapters so you can use a shop vac or a large dust collection sytem.
    Also does this come with the quick release for the extension hood?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Hi Erwin...I just saw your post and video (I'm on the road for a couple days). Very impressive design and functionality. I hope we'll all get a chance to meet you in person and see your CW DC in Houston!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The quick release extension is standard with the dust hood. The reducer for the shop vac is a standard reducer from 4" to 2 1/2" available where dust collectors are sold such as Harbor Freight, Grizzly, WoodCraft ect.
    Erwin
    Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Looks like it does a good job, couple of questions. Does this come with the adapters so you can use a shop vac or a large dust collection sytem.
    Also does this come with the quick release for the extension hood?

I found a sheared spindle post on the Y axis driver and so replaced the gear and both bearings. I thoroughly lubricated the machine and it is working well again. While inside, I found a LOT of acrylic shavings as I've been carving lithopanes lately. They got past the mounting plate, the plastic protective sheet and the caulking used to seal and hold it in place. I came to realize that stopping every 15 minutes to vacuum and blow out the dust wasn't near enough. That's when I found the Dust Devil from Erwin Products. http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm Easy to install and it worked like a charm with just a shop vac attached. I used an aluminum dryer vent tube and an adapter to reduce the 4 inch to 2 1/2 inches.
    I thought it would be difficult to cut down the CW lid as described even the little bit of drift which caused a rough edge was easily sanded out. Also, I thought I might have to make some sort of gate or reducer to help direct the suction over the work piece but there was so little dust remaining I decided that wasn't necessary. Still, the shop vac is noisy and gets hot on longer runs so I'm shopping for a low cost 4 inch dust collector to hook up in the near future.

I highly recommend the Dust Devil. Simple design and as close to perfect as I can imagine. Everyone should use it to add life to your Carvewright. The price is right too.

Sail

But if you bring your DC hose down from the top, make sure it is long enough. I had to move everything down because I had trouble cranking the head down. No problem with the DC, just my installation. Just want all to know to watch for that. I still have the downdraft on one machine because I want to use it for StartU demos and it works well on narrower stuff, but wide stuff definitely goes under this DC.TW, running both machines with DCs, I loose about 25% of sucking power on each machine with my 600cfm system. Not optimal, but I think it will minimize the Y and Z roller problems I have been having with both machines.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I got the Erwin Dust Devil back around the end of April. I was very satisfied with its operation. Since then they have improved the design twice. Both tiimes I received and email from them stating they had shipped me the improvements at no cost. To me this is great customer service. Not many companies out there improving there product and giving away the improvements free after you have already made your purchase. All that without an inquiry from me. I am sure there are several good designs out there but I can only vouch for this one.

Here is the email I received.
    Dave,
    Inappreciation for your support, I just ran a new batch of Dust Devils and I amsending you the new extension and mounting blocks to upgrade your Dust Devil toversion C with the quick release snap fasteners and much improved performance.
    Thankyou for your continued support,
    Erwin
    ERWINPRODUCTS

Dave
    The Magic of making Sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenWizard View Post
    I got the Erwin Dust Devil back around the end of April. I was very satisfied with its operation. Since then they have improved the design twice. Both tiimes I received and email from them stating they had shipped me the improvements at no cost. To me this is great customer service. Not many companies out there improving there product and giving away the improvements free after you have already made your purchase. All that without an inquiry from me. I am sure there are several good designs out there but I can only vouch for this one.

Here is the email I received.
    Dave,
    Inappreciation for your support, I just ran a new batch of Dust Devils and I amsending you the new extension and mounting blocks to upgrade your Dust Devil toversion C with the quick release snap fasteners and much improved performance.
    Thankyou for your continued support,
    Erwin
    ERWINPRODUCTS

Dave
    The only other company I know of that does this is Lee Valley with their Veritas tools. It is a great sign of a company that truly believes that taking care of their past customers will reap future benefits (and is the right thing to do) Well done.

Lawrence

You can't beat that. Let's face it, that's why we buy more new stuff, because someone improves it. Very nice.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340