Thread: trying to carve a recess

1. Default trying to carve a recess

I've been breaking in my carvewright and can't figure out something. (it seems so simple) I need to carve a .25" recess in the top of this sign to inlay a medallion. I've attached my file with the oval I need, but I can't get it to carve into the larger oval region.

Thanks for any help I can get!

"cruzer"
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like the thought there, very creative use of the library. But I'm sure the problem is the fact that you have a carving under the area you want to carve. The only 2 things I can come up with is either use a graphics program, or create a series of progressively smaller oval rings and use a bit to carve them out (using "select bit", not "carve region").

I saw your post and I admire your cutout border. When you used the spline tool did you “mirror” one half to the other side? I have tried many times to do this but the cut path icon never highlighted. I checked that each segment had a connecting “splat” and used the snap to dot feature. Is there something special I must do?

4. Default symetrical cut path w/o mirroring

Chipperbob,

To make the outline symetrical I created one side, copied, pasted and flipped it horizontally. Then just scooted the new copy into position and connected the open end points. Wallah! call it a cut path or whatever you want. BTW, has anybody figured out my original question?

"cruzer"

Johnathan - I've just had a look at your project mpc file, and saw the blank oval area at the top.
    I assume this is where you want to place the recessed region, then import a medallion into it.
    When I drew an oval on top, I found that the region tool accepted a depth, but then didn't show when I deselected the oval.
    When I looked further, I noticed an oval object that you had used to create the top curved outline, so as an experiment I deleted it.
    Surprise, there is a shell object underneath which is part of the leaf design.
    This looks like you have combined the shell with the holly leaves before, as in the carving list it appears as one object.
    I think this may be the source of the problem you're having.

John

Is this what you are trying to do.

###Files pulled to avoid copyright issues
    Last edited by BoardSilly; 02-25-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

7. Default Is a router bit necessary for the recess you made?

Boardsilly,
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do!
    I don't have any router bits yet...Is one necessary to achieve the recess you created? Does anyone else have a technique that will work without using a special bit?

thanks,
    "cruzer"

tHE CARVING BIT WILL DO IT ALL UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO CUT THE OUTSIDE OUT OF YOUR BOARD THEN YOU WILL NEED THE 1/8" CUTTING BIT.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years