Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best wood to use

I use basswood it carves nice soft wood bits will last for ever, a lot of saw dust you need a good shop vac i had a 2 gal. vac. after two carving it was full so went to wally-world and got the big boy 16 gal. 5.5 hp it really suck's.
    have fun

Default Best wood

I've tried many different woods and find Cherry to carve the best.

I definately agree with Cherry. I will also use Hard Maple to add a lighter color to my gallery.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

your best woods are closed grain type . red oak is a open grain while white oak is closed. Cut a very thin piece off the end of a block of red oak hold it up to a light . try it with white oak and you will see the difference. take a piece of red oak 1/4 x1/4 x6 put the end in a glass of water ,you can blow through it like a stray. the open grain woods have voild that will tear when cut and give you a ruff finish.. I have had good luck with cherry,purplehart, maple hickory. and even some walnut . fine grain and clossed grain is what to look for . many things will make a wood carve better , less than 10% moisture 1/4 sawn ect. carve the same pattern in each type you like save for future to see the change in types . have fun
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Default How about ebony?

Has anyone tried to carve ebony? I have some 3/4" stock and would like to carve some rosettes for a mirror frame I am making, but I am afraid it will eat my bit.

Also, I was going to try and carve a clock face that I downloaded but the numbers were done in centerline text and my software does not support that. Will it carve?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrof View Post
    Has anyone tried to carve ebony? I have some 3/4" stock and would like to carve some rosettes for a mirror frame I am making, but I am afraid it will eat my bit.

Also, I was going to try and carve a clock face that I downloaded but the numbers were done in centerline text and my software does not support that. Will it carve?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    I've never tried ebony but it would carve nicely. Don't worry about the bit. They are endmills designed for cutting metal. My clock face will carve on your machine with total disregard to the fact you don't have centerline. You can add extra carving in the center area if you wish.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

pkunk---

Thank you very much. I"ll give them both a try.

You now have got me thinking (sometimes dangerous) when you said the bit was designed to cut steel. Is it possible to carve shallow images on sheet aluminum if it is placed on a solid surface or a sled?

Quote Originally Posted by jdrof View Post
    pkunk---

Thank you very much. I"ll give them both a try.

You now have got me thinking (sometimes dangerous) when you said the bit was designed to cut steel. Is it possible to carve shallow images on sheet aluminum if it is placed on a solid surface or a sled?
    There's been a number of posts on this subject. Use 'search'. In a word-no.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default Dark wood an issue?

I thought I read before that a dark wood can fool a sensor into malfunctioning? the first real project I want to do is some carved pulls in highly figured black (purple) walnut.
    Of course I will do a complete test on scrap wood, I wonder if a walnut stain also might fool the sensor?
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    I thought I read before that a dark wood can fool a sensor into malfunctioning? the first real project I want to do is some carved pulls in highly figured black (purple) walnut.
    Of course I will do a complete test on scrap wood, I wonder if a walnut stain also might fool the sensor?
    If the sensor doesn't read it correctly, try a piece of masking tape flush on each end. Walnut carves sooo nicely!

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast