Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd owner of a never used A-model...

Good Job so far.... I am in the shop until 11 PM almost every night and it is a shop phone so it will bother no one ringing after hours.

The Cap is that black plastic retainer shown in the picture above. When installed with a single screw, it supports the FSC Cable and won't let is sag. In the picture you can see Shoe Glue or something like it on the FSC Cable plug. Most plugs were glued in the factory. For this black cap I like to install it and place a 1 inch long piece of masking tape over the top of the cap and FSC Cable locking it in place.

I would ask LHR to buy one.... It will save you money in the end.... If the cable ripped out or sagged to the point that it shorted out the Servo power then the Z or The Z Driver Transistor in the Computer might be fried.... Some Servo Drives like this that I worked with at the Sony Picture Tube plant, they has a 1/16 amp fuses on the output of the servo drivers. In this case, either the Servo Motor Smokes as my Z did, or the Driver Transistor does... If you open the computer, it will be screwed to the wall of the computer for a heat sink... The X, Y, and Z Drivers. I have yet to have cause to replace a Driver Transistor, did it all the time at Sony.

I have a Magic Jack Internet Phone and it is FREE to call you back if yours is a toll call. It will have a 215 Area code as it comes out of the Internet in Bucks County, PA near Philly.

Good Luck,

AL

Found this old picture showing masking tape over the FSC Cable and Cap preventing the cable from pulling out..... My choice of the slang word "vice" has gotten me more email.... What do you mean? "Vice" = "Rather" in my World traveled Vocabulary.... I remember getting teased at a Fire Dept Carnival in the 80's... The Kitchen Ladies were asking me it I wanted this and that with my Meal... Just to get me to say.... "I will pass" = "No Thanks".... They got a Chuckle out of my Slang.... I also picked up talking with my hands after a few Navy Visits to Italy.... I can't stop... LOL.... 27 Countries in 20 years and I picked up a few Slang Words...
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-06-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

In a earlier picture I see that the Dust Cap on the top FSC Cable is missing... It is a black plastic cap that the FSC cable goes through and extends the holding of the cable about a inch and a half away from the Z Motor. This HOLDS the cable UP and away from catching on a cooling fins of the Y Motor. It is my belief that the same thing happened to THIS machine as happened to ME.... One time I forgot to put that black plastic cap on.... It let the FSC Cable SAG and while under power the FSC cable was torn DOWN and AWAY from the top Z Motor Connector. This Caused a SHORT CIRCUIT as it RIPPED AWAY.... Lucky for me I had a extra Z Motor as the Z was DEAD after that Short... I would get a Z Stall upon starting up. This is since the Z going up and down homing in the startup of the machine is one of the first things it will do. So it is my belief that you or someone SMOKED the Z Motor and the FIX would be to order a Z Motor from LHR and a new 14 pin FSC Cable... ALSO.... Since I am thinking about it.... Pull the FSC cable with the power OFF and COUNT the Wires.... This could be that someone changed the FSC Cable Package of 2 Circuit boards and then put the OLD 18 pin cable back ON..... It would be a FIRST.... But if you didn't know better... A Cable is a Cable.... Beer is Beer.... Coke.. Pepsi... Same SAME... But in this case FIRST count the conductors....

I removed the cover during inspection and for photos. It is 14 pins and I pinned it out all leads have continuity. The cable was pulled out a little this caused all sensors to be inop and the controller was warm (possible short). Is there a manual way that i can test the z motor?
    I do have the cap. I removed it for pictures. The tape Idea is a good one! You are quite fond of masking tape Al! LOL I can't get any output from the controller. None of the drive tests work. For EEC Processors we had a breakout box, that attaches between the cable and the controller, giving you access to pin-out each wire. Could the controller have been damaged by the improper seating of the z cable? This obviously caused a short to ground, evident by none of the sensors working until it was properly seated. Or is it more likely caused by improper use. Starting with no memory card...etc?

Good Job so far... The Masking Tape is a inside joke... I joke to use lots of masking tape as I have Stock in Masking Tape....

Good to talk to you tonight..

So at this time the FSC Cable is most likely good, but when flexed could make or break as it is flat copper.'

So to first move forward, you mentioned that the Servo Box and Computer, all one unit was warm.... That could be because of the short circuit of the FSC Cable at an angle. I would un plug the machine and remove the computer and remove the cover and look inside. The Servo Drivers will be screwed to the wall.... Look for burnt resistors or burnt parts..... If all looks OK...

Next is to un plug the Z Motor at the motor plug, and try to get the machine to move the Y Axis. A Shorted Z Motor could draw down the Servo Power. Un plugging the Z could bring the voltage back to normal and let the Y Work.....

Does someone know the pin out of the Power Supply Voltages? I believe it is 4 wires, 5 volts DC and either 12 or 24 volts DC. ????? It was posted one time...

Another test would be to remove the plug from the Z Motor and remove the Y from the machine and hold it up at the Z plugged in to the Z Jack and try to move it with the computer controls....

I am thinking the Z Motor is Shorted.... Bad....

Let us know what you find.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12