Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unknown Carvers Confusion

Default Unknown Carvers Confusion

Not sure what exactly your confusion is? You seem to be questioning patterns made by folks as to copy rights? Then seem to question if one scans a pattern is it legal?

Are you scanning some patterns you in question about? What are they? Are You modeling some your in question about?
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Here is a great example of the WRONG thing to do to help with confusion...this seller SFSALES2000 takes patterns from memebers of the Carvewirght, who posted for FREE, and then re-sales. The horse in the pic I circled was mine from a while back..too funny..but this is wrong. State Seals and such I would check with the state...I am sure they can help clear it up for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

3. Default

I was wondering if I or someone used blender or scanned objects to make patterns then put them for sale on their own site or on pattern depot would that be ok? Same thing with getting images from internet and making patterns. Seems that is done a lot and then those patterns are sold. This has nothing to do with ebay but just sales in general.

4. Default

I actually was going to just drop this question and not start a new thread because it seemed to generate so much controversy. I still don't want to open up a can of worms so before this turns bad I just want to make that clear.

What software are you using to make patterns with? Me personally I dont own a scanner nor the scanning probe I just model things from scratch...sometimes and image in the background for reference of say a trout or something I am modeling...maybe I took the photo maybe I got one off the net.Sometimes I use multiple images for reference. Do I consider this my pattern? Yep. There is nothing wrong with using something as a reference such as an artist sketching a person/model posing in front of them. As far as scanning here is my opinion - I see nothing wrong with and re-selling it. For example I am thinking about a scanner - nextengine - for hobby. On my desk I have a figurine of a German Shepherd - shephard lover here - so if I scan and it comes out well would I sell? I have no issue with it. The figurine is plastic and not a 3d item in the sense of an stl obj fbx lwo etc file that I know of. After I scanned it in full 3d its worthless for cw or cnc for that matter as a 2.5 d model that is. Now more work will need to be done. Converting the full 3d model to a carveable 2.5d model, maybe retoplogize the model, sculpt the model a bit to make it look right - so at this point would I re-sell as mine probably - no problem with it.

Taking a 3d model from the interenet and importing into blender then reselling IMO is wrong. Why I shared a lot of them in that thread...some I didnt share maybe I will sell or just delete..those are ones I modeled - but if I wanted to sell them I see no issue with it. My feeling is the files are already in obj stl fbx lwo formats...to augment them a hair and re-sale is wrong.

State seals? I have no clue what the copyright is on those. I have made some name brand stuff and have carved for myself..coors crown royal NFL stuff. With what I know about modeling I can pretty much make any pattern I want for myself...will I re-sell no to stuff like just mentioned..my Neice loved Dora so I made a model and carved a peice for her..would I re-sell Disney things? nope

Whate are you thinking of carving or modeling that you are concerned with? Do you model or scan?..Lot of smart folks here

I dont see why this thread would get ugly
    Last edited by jpaluck; 05-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

6. Default

I don't really know yet I started playing with blender as well and I have scanning probe but have not used it yet. I bought a used machine on ebay and yes pattern disks from ebay. I do have to say it was before I found this forum but the disks were sure easier than finding and downloading one by one, they were categorized and easy to use. Once I found this forum it seemed like a lot of money is being made from selling patterns and I thought doing so might help to pay for my machine and hobby. But I wanted to make sure I did it right, I don't want to get in trouble. That is where my confusion was, using models, pictures, scans etc. to make my own patterns. It really struck me when I asked the question (and maybe I did not ask it right) how I got jumped on and people keep hitting me with ebay sellers and that was never my question.

7. Default

OK, let's just cut to the chase. Is your interest in copyright because you are one of the sellers on ebay that is selling the intellectual properpy of others? Not an accusation just a question.

Tell ya what. My phone number is on my website. Give me a call and we can talk about it.
    Last edited by TerryT; 05-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.

I bought my machine in 07/08 and had zero issues finding patterns here. Could CW put a free pattern section and organize it? Sure but why would they? LOL its free stuff shared by forum members...they sell machines and have a pattern store.

Alot of money from patterns?..lol thats surely a relative term...put it to this way I am not quitting the day job anytime soon. Not trying to discourage you from making them. My perspective it's a fun hobby. Scan away and Model away. Post some pics of your models.

Did you end getting the Blender Vids? Good stuff for creating reliefs
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    OK, let's just cut to the chase. Is your interest in copyright because you are one of the sellers on ebay that is selling the intellectual properpy of others? Not an accusation just a question.

Tell ya what. My phone number is on my website. Give me a call and we can talk about it.
    No I am not selling any patterns right now, not on ebay or anywhere else, This is what I was talking about that things got crazy as soon as I posted. Your website is not on your post but it doesn't matter what do we have to talk about? I have bought the disks and that was before I knew that I could find patterns here.

Your just trying to see what you can do...cool. Post some pics...Did you get the Blender Videos?
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast