Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Blender bas releif node patch

Glad to be of help.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

2. Default

You can use nodes in blender to create a standard height map pattern. It doesn't work the same as the blender with the bas node. The blender bas node performs a flattening technique that smooth's out images that have vast differences in height.

I've made a video of how you can turn a blender scene into a height map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvI...ature=youtu.be

What I do is try to flatten out my model as much as possible first. Which is a whole other story. It would be done in edit mode using scale and grab on selected vertices etc.

Alan,

Thank you for the great video. So far all my patterns are coming out a bit flat, though with great detail. Is there a technique to add depth without losing the detail that is fairly simple or is it the pain staking method of playing with the color gradients hoping it comes out better?
    Here is my latest attempt with a model I made a while ago. Its supposed to be a UH1 Huey. Still fairly new to 3d modeling so not perfect.

Regards,
    O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails huey.jpg   huey UH1.jpg  

4. Default

If I'm working with a model that has a wide spread of distance like say an airplane, I will actually set the camera at the top view looking straight down and then move and rotate the object to what I want and then simply (or not so simply) go into edit mode and grab vertices of the wings which stick out and put the origin point at a good position and scale from origin in the z direction only. This makes the wing closer to the body in such a way that it will not be noticeable from the camera angle but also gives more pixel height to be used on the other parts of the model. You know what I mean. Basically just compact the parts in together to flatten it in such a way that the camera cannot notice it from its angle. This gives more resolution to each part. And remember that round is really only half round in bas relief.

On simple organic shapes the blender bas node version of blender works great.

Haven't had much time to play around with any of my tools due to work but finally got an hour to create a 3d image and play with the software. Still don't have the system down. But hopefully someone can use this for something. Living in Louisiana I thought a good fleur de lis would be nice.

Edit: 22Feb15: Moving forward almost a year later. I wanted to go to an old pattern and compare it to what I am doing now pattern wise. Also hopefully someone will find this pattern useful in a future project. Thanks to all the great members on here for helping me get a better idea on how to build patterns with all the great advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fleur pattern.jpg   fleurdelis.jpg   fleurfelis2.jpg   fleurfelis3.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

I am currently working on a steam punk inspired mantel clock. I created a cog wheel pattern for it since I could not find anything that was similar. Don't know if anyone would ever need this and it is pretty shallow but I am pleased on how it carved out. I'll upload a picture of the final piece when complete in the furniture thread. Again a big thanks to all the great artists that have shared their patterns on here. I am using them whenever I can. Creating new designs can be a time consuming (though enjoyable endeavor).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cogs.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112