Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosary Box

Default Rosary Box

Finally had a reason to break out the CW machine again when I realized I had two weeks to get something for my niece/godchild for her first communion on May 6. Off to the PatternDepot and got the Rosary Box project. Then I realized I didn't have centerline so I could add the text the way I wanted - so off to the CW Store. Saturday morning I ran it through the machine using some leftover walnut from another project. Came out pretty nice. Finished sanding this evening and put a first coat of finish on it. Here's a picture of the lid:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lid.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	52605

The finish is Sam Maloof's oil/poly finish that Rockler sells - still have 3-5 more coats to go. Haven't decided if I'm going to use the oil/wax finish for the last couple of coats. The walnut has a bit of history to it. My younger brother had come up with it several years ago and gave it to my dad who was going to use it to build yet another music cabinet for my mother. He got started on it probably 15 years ago but his started to deteriorate and he was having trouble getting the energy up to continue working on it. Early 2004 we had to take dad to the hospital - on the same day my niece was born. He died eight days later never getting to see her. Fast forward to January 2009 when I finally pulled the music cabinet project out of 'storage' (under the guest bed in the house) and tried to get it finished for my mother for mother's day. Didn't quite make it but did finish it by late July. Here's a shot of it:

Name:	muscab-0014.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	52606

All dad had finished on the cabinet were the top and sides, including the grooves for the drawers. I had to figure out the rest - but I'm confident it's done the way he would've done. I used the same finish on it that I'm using on the rosary box. The piece of walnut I used for the box is a piece leftover from one of the drawer fronts. Kinda nice to have that small tie-in from a project my dad started to the box for my niece. I'll post another picture of the box when I get it completely finished...

David

Thanks for sharing both projects David. They look great. It is really special how a single piece of wood can touch serveral peoples lives and how memories are made. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks again.
    Roger

3. Default

Very nicely done David. Projects are always more enjoyable when there is a touching story behind them. Thanks for sharing both.

Very touching story. I'm sure the whole family will be pleased with your niece's box. Keep up the Great Work!!

Finally decided it was time to call it 'done' on the rosary box (even though I still need to get some small felt discs for 'feet' yet):

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	52910

Just in time for Sunday!

David

Beautiful, Is that flocking or felt material on the insides?

David, well worth the time. Beautiful.

Capt Barry

Well done on the box. I really like your design.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

9. Default

Very nice, indeed.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    Finally decided it was time to call it 'done' on the rosary box (even though I still need to get some small felt discs for 'feet' yet):

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	52910

Just in time for Sunday!

David

That's beautiful David and you should be proud to show it Sunday!
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast