Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabinet doors

Default cabinet doors

I was wondering a couple of things

1. has anyone done up a template for a cabinet door, what i mean is the piece of wood we always start a new project with is square is there a way we can change that so it looks like a cabinet door and then do a design on that?

2. has anyone tried to do a cabinet door yet, like the kind you would find in a kitchen.

I am thinking of going to a cabinet maker and showing him some samples that if the person he sells his kitchen to wants they can have in the door.

I thought if he is building the door, knowing that the door is assembled from five pieces, then he could let me carve the center before he puts it together.

has anyone else thought of that and if so have you tried it?

i think that anyone doing something like having a set of kitchen cubbards made instead of going to home depot and just buying it generic they might want a personal touch, am i out to lunch or what?

tim
    almost did not want to sign LOL

I know Dan did some cabinet doors but I am not sure if he has any pictures of it. I believe he did a raised panel look for the doors, but he can tell us if he sees this thread.

Dan if you have the mpc file could yo take a screen shot of it and post it for us to see?

Default Cabinet Doors

I have produced one cabinet door just for a trial. I an not at the computer where I designed it right now, but when I get to it later today I will post it's file.

Thanks,

Henry S. Swearingen

Default Cabinet Door

I did have the file on my current computer.

Thanks,

Henry S. Swearingen
    Attached Files Attached Files

i think that looks great but i am not looking to carve the door itself i want to carve something on a existing door panel or center. so in other words it would be engraved in it can not be relief because i don't want to take the bulk away from the door.

in that pic you are taking the bulk away from a piece of wood to make the door and leaving the grapes.

i am wondering if someone has figured out how to make the desinger look at something other than a piece of wood.

i have tried a couple of times and i am getting the same effect as you did henry.

it is a good idea if i can figure it out.

tim

As a cabinetmaker, I see several problems. The biggest is that of the size limitation. A carved panel at 14 1/2" wide is good for a door width of 18" which is fine as long as the kitchen doesn't have anything larger. I suppose you could always add extra wood to both sides after carving to make the panel larger , but that's alot of extra work & time. Second is carving away a bunch of wood from a panel will tend to induce some warp. Could ruin the project. It would make for a nice but very expensive cabinet.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

would there be many cabinets that would be that big i have never measured any but figured the middle would not be bigger than the 14.5 we can do.

as far as warping if i do not go deep then it should not be a big issue right?

i want to take an image and only carve that out not around it just the image.

i guess i could use trial and error and try to match up the space so that it lands in the right spot, however ideally if i could have a pattern that looks like the panel rather than just a flat piece of board it would be easier.

thanks again for all the help
    tim

Here is what I did ,play around with that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Dan those work great how did you do them if you dont mind me asking?

and have you seen a door that has the curve on the top and then almost goes flat i know that is not a great description, but i am hoping you know what i mean. if not i can try to draw a pic.
    actually just reading it i would not even know what i meant so i will attach a pic of what i am talking about.

is it possible to do the same thing for this design and if so is it also possible to make it so i can resize it depending on the size of the door?

thanks again they look great
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door_189.jpg  

Tim
    The doors I did just pick your size project, draw a rectangle where you want the routed part , pick bit these were done with 1/2" classical, choose depth and thats it
    It's been a while , but I think there a way you can click on one end of the rectangle and then stretch the middle into an arc.
    PKUNK OR BOB probable know right off,but me being a computer beginner , I don't without playing with it. later Daniel
    You can also carve on doors that are already put together.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast