Thread: Wood prices?

Default Wood prices?

Good woods is hard to find and expensive here in California. I was wondering about the availability and cost in other areas. Poplar is a little less than $2 a bdft. Other than #2 pine, that is what I use the most. Cumala is no longer available because, I was told by the lumber yard worker it was infected, so I had to buy Philippine mahogany at about $4 a bdft. I priced walnut at that time and it is over $5 a bdft.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Here in western Pa. locally grown wood is very reasonably priced the last time I bought red oak it was about $1.90 bf. Poplar was $1.50 bf. Black walnut was about $2.70 bf. And soft maple was $1.80 bf. While I was at the mill I was admiring the huge stack of curly maple boards and ask what price he was getting for it (thinking is was going to be a expensive price) when he told me $2.50 bf. I just about passed out. He said he has no market for curly maple and was shipping that stack of 10,000 bf. Out to be made into paint stirrers! Needles to say I spent the rest of cash that I had with me. I had paid $4.50 the week before for curly maple.

I have found the more rural the area, the more reasonable the prices for some great quality wood. You may have to inquire, but usually there are small mills about anywhere there is timber and they are typically very reasonable...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Denny, would you mind letting me know who the Mill was with the curly maple, I also live in western Pa.
    sure would like to get some it...

Thanks
    Tom
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

Me too! Indiana, PA
    Doug Fletcher

The lumber company is Matson Lumber in Brookville Pa. http://www.matsonlumber.com/ you will have to call first ask for Doug Zimmerman 814-849-5334 all of the lumber is rough cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwizpro View Post
    Denny, would you mind letting me know who the Mill was with the curly maple, I also live in western Pa.
    sure would like to get some it...

Thanks
    Tom

I think some of you people are just plain stealing lumber! LOL! Here in Utah I can find rough cut red oak for about $3.75 bdft.
    Poplar from Lowes about 4.63 bdft. - finished dimension. I can get rough cut douglas fir at about $0.75 bdft. Cherry and walnut are close to $6.00 bdft, rough cut.

Here are some of the prices that I'm paying right now in central MN - all rough cut board ft prices. We use alot of the wood that is rustic grade. Most of the wood we get is purchased in larger qty.

Hackberry $1.25
    Red Elm $1.25
    Black walnut air dried - $3 (Some places around here are up to $12 bd/ft for rough lumber not even straight lined)
    Reclaimed Oak (Some Curl/Burl/Flame) $3.25
    Pine / Fir $.50 - $1 depending on grade
    Rustic Grade Hickory $4 - I love the look of this stuff
    Hard Maple Clear $3
    Nice Pretty Clear Red Oak $2
    Western Red Cedar $1
    Aromatic Red Cedar $1
    Barnwood Rustic Grade $.50 - $1
    Flatter Nice Gray Barnwood $1-3
    Redwood $4-$12 when we can find it.(Just scored 100 boards that are 1"x6"x18' they were painted no one at the auction knew what they were- I took the whole lot for $1)

We don't find much cherry or hickory through the smaller mills
    I end up ordering my exotics from Wall Lumber most of the time - decent prices and good wood

Here is a guy on craiglist up here thats been trying to sell some tiger / curly maple for $2.45 Down to $1.50 a board foot depending on qty. I have been debating on getting some but its a 3 hr drive. Maybe I should go up there buy a bunch and sell some down here to pay for the trip. He said he's got 7,000 board feet.
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...879116321.html
    Last edited by roostinridge; 04-06-2012 at 08:56 AM.

So it seems like Utah is worse than So CAl, but central east coast is best. But we have few mosquitoes and little humidity here, and it almost always cools off at night in summer. I guess your can't have your beer and drink it too. Thanks for the info.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I am moving to MN! Man that Tiger/Curly Maple is beautiful!