Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Machine not holding straight line while carving

1. Default

encoder? ....

Jason hit it, I second that the encoder is packed with dust.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris
    Bit optimization?
    I did not set a bit optimization

Depth and Height of pattern settings?
    Height = 100
    Depth = .225

Carve quality setting when you up loaded the project to the card?
    Set for best

This instance was not carving corian....I was carving into red cedar. 12"x24". Never had this issue before for wood
    Last edited by Denise; 10-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    I would suggest that you take the y motor apart and check for movement on the gear or broken teeth as well.
    If all else fails I will do that. this machine is not that old..I bought it in March or April...and haven't put alot of hours on it. Trying to spend more time with the family too...this is supposed to be my relaxation time...lol....oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    what chuck are you using?
    The machine is only a few months old (version C). It is not the quick disconnect...I assume that is what you are asking about

We just saw a y drive bearing failure on a newer machine. His machine changed directions as well.

Things I would try/do:

Reformat the card and re load the project.

Check the encoder in the back of the Z and Y motors. Remove the black cover and check for any dust/dirt build up. Blow it out with LOW volume air. Check the thin disc for any nicks and looseness. Be very careful in handling/working around the disc.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

If I understand you are cutting Corian... IF SO.... The Density of Corian and the Slickness could cause the bit to dull quickly and it is just riding up over the Corian not cutting it..... And too, the Y Gearbox can wear quickly cutting Corian. The machine is designed with a feed rate for WOOD.... I would only cut Corian in Optimal Mode to slow down the cutting process slightly. Doing a Draft Cut would make the cutter FLY over the Corian. I would also look for a frozen Y Rail Bearing too... And like others have said to look into the Encoder...

IF you are seeing a REVERSAL of the Y during a cut OR see it jerk then 75% of the time it is the 2 bearings inside the Y Gearbox.

To test the machine I would make a Circle and assign the 1/8 inch cutting bit and a depth of say .1

Put the project in the machine and after the bit checks REMOVE THE BIT.... What this can check is cutting a circle WITHOUT the BIT so you are seeing the motion of the Gearbox under NO LOAD.... IF it jerks then the Bearings or Encoder are bad.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Things I would try/do:

Reformat the card and re load the project.

Check the encoder in the back of the Z and Y motors. Remove the black cover and check for any dust/dirt build up. Blow it out with LOW volume air. Check the thin disc for any nicks and looseness. Be very careful in handling/working around the disc.
    Will check these areas out

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    If I understand you are cutting Corian... IF SO.... The Density of Corian and the Slickness could cause the bit to dull quickly and it is just riding up over the Corian not cutting it..... And too, the Y Gearbox can wear quickly cutting Corian. The machine is designed with a feed rate for WOOD.... I would only cut Corian in Optimal Mode to slow down the cutting process slightly. Doing a Draft Cut would make the cutter FLY over the Corian. I would also look for a frozen Y Rail Bearing too... And like others have said to look into the Encoder...
    I do cut corian sometimes...but getting away from it and concentrating more on wood. Good tips..thanks

IF you are seeing a REVERSAL of the Y during a cut OR see it jerk then 75% of the time it is the 2 bearings inside the Y Gearbox.

To test the machine I would make a Circle and assign the 1/8 inch cutting bit and a depth of say .1

Put the project in the machine and after the bit checks REMOVE THE BIT.... What this can check is cutting a circle WITHOUT the BIT so you are seeing the motion of the Gearbox under NO LOAD.... IF it jerks then the Bearings or Encoder are bad.

AL
    Will check this later. Thanks...sounds like a good test

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast