Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Forest Wall Shelf - Project of the Month APRIL 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    I'm not looking for the leaf. I was trying to understand how you made it. I thought that you didn't use a pattern and simply design around it. So if I understand you did use the leaf pattern but it is locked.

I just wondered if you were creating the leaf without using a pattern, because your result is great.

Thanks for your explanation.

Leo
    Hi Leo,

I modeled everything in the Aspire software. I modeled the leaves and the curved branches using vectors, two-rail sweeps and rails. I created the "v-carves" of the leaf veins using a ToolPath Preview projected onto the surface of the leaves, then created a component from the toolpath preview.

After the components were created, I arranged everything, adjusted so the parts merged well, did slight sculpting here and there, baked everything together and saved it out as an STL. I did not save out the individual leaves, but I could always do that at some point and place them as individual patterns on the CarveBuddy and CW websites. Something to think about...later.

I imported the STL via the CarveWright STL Importer and converted it to a PTN file. I also exported the main vectors as DXF from Aspire, then imported the DXF vectors via the CarveWright DXF Importer. This was done so I could use the original vectors for creating carve regions, drills and cutouts on the final project. Making full use of all the tools at my disposal has really streamlined the entire process for creating projects. The CarveWright STL and DXF Importers made my life so much easier!!!

Here are a couple screenshots from the Aspire software...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modeling_a_Leaf_in_Aspire.jpg   Arrangement_of_all_Models.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

While I'm at it, I thought I would also offer a sneak-peek into my feeble mind on an alternative I considered for creating the elements for this project...

The photo below shows a hand-sculpted leaf I made from Sculpy clay. I drew a leaf, took a lump of clay and used the cutout drawing as a guide to forming the leaf. I have been experimenting with the NextEngine laser scanner, and my thought was, "I'll hand sculpt all the components, scan them and convert them to PTN's".

The same process could have easily been done using the CarveWright Scanning Probe, but I wanted to goof around with the laser scanner as part of my learning process in that arena. Unfortunately, I was running out of time, so I abandoned the idea and just went straight into Aspire to create the models instead. I still have a lot to learn about laser scanning and decided to put that off for a bit until I am better caught up with more pressing tasks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pic_of_Hand-Sculpted_Leaf.jpg   NextEngine_Laser_Scanner-setup.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael,
    You're a true artist and innovator! I, for one, bow to your use of talent.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Michael,
    You're a true artist and innovator! I, for one, bow to your use of talent.
    AskBud
    I agree with you Bud, Michael is a talented artist. That is a 100 times over and over.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Leo,

I modeled everything in the Aspire software. I modeled the leaves and the curved branches using vectors, two-rail sweeps and rails. I created the "v-carves" of the leaf veins using a ToolPath Preview projected onto the surface of the leaves, then created a component from the toolpath preview.

After the components were created, I arranged everything, adjusted so the parts merged well, did slight sculpting here and there, baked everything together and saved it out as an STL. I did not save out the individual leaves, but I could always do that at some point and place them as individual patterns on the CarveBuddy and CW websites. Something to think about...later.

I imported the STL via the CarveWright STL Importer and converted it to a PTN file. I also exported the main vectors as DXF from Aspire, then imported the DXF vectors via the CarveWright DXF Importer. This was done so I could use the original vectors for creating carve regions, drills and cutouts on the final project. Making full use of all the tools at my disposal has really streamlined the entire process for creating projects. The CarveWright STL and DXF Importers made my life so much easier!!!

Here are a couple screenshots from the Aspire software...
    Thank you for that input. I found it very interesting, and a great learning experince. I think it is great to see how you creat something.

Thanks again.

Leo

wow! And wow again!

Well, I don't know quite what to say except Thank You All for your encouragement. I really do enjoy making the projects for you and that's pretty much what "drives" me. If you like, I can try to include some similar short snippets of how a project was created in the future. Thanks again.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael,

VERY nice design..your starting to cheat with the scanner eh..lol ( joking w ya). I love designs like this..the whole acanthus leaf / victorian classic woodworking design. I know they are FAR from simple to model and just a hair time consuming. Looks great!!!
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpaluck View Post
    Michael,

VERY nice design..your starting to cheat with the scanner eh..lol ( joking w ya). I love designs like this..the whole acanthus leaf / victorian classic woodworking design. I know they are FAR from simple to model and just a hair time consuming. Looks great!!!
    Hi John,

Thanks! I am really hoping I CAN 'cheat' with the scanning! Looking at the hundreds and hundreds of those Victorian plaster cast molds I am currently modeling into the 21st century, I could sure use a shortcut or two! I am targeting this summer for the debut of the first in the series of the Joachim Jungwirth collection of Victorian patterns/models! (although I may "sneak" some more out at CarveBuddy before the official announcement)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Well, I don't know quite what to say except Thank You All for your encouragement. I really do enjoy making the projects for you and that's pretty much what "drives" me. If you like, I can try to include some similar short snippets of how a project was created in the future. Thanks again.
    Please do it helps me at least learn. I appreciate your work and contributions.

Leo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast