Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you change out the router quick Changer

Default How do you change out the router quick Changer

I am new to the carvewright machine(2weeks). While making my first project I put in the 90 degree bit to router the edges. The bit came loose, I immediately turned off the machine, but it put burrs on all 4 tabs on the quick changer on the machine. Stopping it from coming all the way down and locking the bits in place. I bought a new quick changer from Sears, I disconnected the flex cable, took off the flex cable holder and the retaining ring from underneath. I am very mechanically inclined but am not sure how to proceed from here. I'm hoping someone has been through this or has a shop manual. I live in California and don't want to ship it to Texas just for this. Thank you very much in advance.
    Limelicker

The Bard Guest

use something square to hold the top in place... we use a ground down allen wrench. Then take, I believe, a 7/8ths flat wrench to screw the quick change off and the new one back on.

Use a small dab of blue (medium) threadlock on the spindle before putting it on, though. Then tighten as tight as you can w/o breaking the allen wrench.

At least I THINK that's how you do it.

That's about right Chris. I will help to remove it if you warm it with a heatgun or hair dryer first to soften the threadlock.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

You guys are too good . Thanx for the very fast replies. Was done for the day here, was gonna start fresh again tomorrow morning. I feel a lot better, now that I have a game plan for tomorrow. Thank you very much, Bard and you too Pkunk !! Limelicker
    Limelicker

The Bard Guest

Default Chuck Removal

I wonder if the plumbing wrench which is flat and opens like a crescent wrench will do this job? If any one has tried it please post the results.

I haven't, but when you buy the kit from sears, they include a flat wrench with it. But be aware, the Bard has stated that he was told the quick change that Sears sell are not the same as the Compucarve's. I bought mine for the extra bit holders, but I think I would try it if I ever had to change the head. It sure looks the same (almost).

Ernie

I bought the one from sears for the quick change bits and to see if the chuck was the same since I have one that is broke. Took the old chuch off my machine and yes, they look alike, they are not. The one for the CarveWright has threads in the head and the one from sears has a split slip coupler to slide on the shaft of your router. Almost the same but not. Oh well, guess my router gets an upgrade....lol Still, I have the extra adaptors so now my bits can do double duty.
    If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Default All is not lost...

I purchased the kit not for the router head (figuring I'd use it elsewhere, like you will), but for the three bit adapters and the flat wrench in the kit. That little wrench is very useful in freeing a stuck bit, as it will allow you to grab the top of the chuck, while twisting the sheath with your fingers to release it.

I just slapped an open-end wrench on a grinder and trimmed it down for my clutch wrench. Then took an old phillips-head screwdriver, ground off the phillips end and squared the shaft to fit down the top. For about the last week before I sent my CW to Texas for other repairs, I had to completely remove the chuck each time I wanted to change bits.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast