Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Type

Definitely use the optimal setting for less sanding. But you will have to do some sanding most likely. I used to hope to avoid it but have quickly found out, like others, that it's just going to be something you must submit to. I have found that using a variety of techniques will clean up a project nicely. Generally I start with a large sanding mop attached to my Makita drill. I'll then move onto a Demel with a variety of carving bits and radial sanding discs.

I think the theme is becoming clear that using a hardwood will "generally" yield the best results over using a softwood.

Very nice work Terry. I think I'll try some aromatic cedar.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Very nice work Terry. I think I'll try some aromatic cedar.
    It is beautiful wood. Just some laquer sanding sealer and a gloss or satin top coat and your done. I carve everything on best or optimal. Usually all that is required is my dremel tool with a diamond bit to clean up the down hill side of the carve a little. I like the white streaks you often get going through the boards.

Thanks for the tips on finish also. Can't wait to have more time to devote to this hobby!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12