Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Z axis stall

Default Stuck in Z axis stall

I am in need of some help with trying to clear the error code Z-axis stall. I have tried to test the Z axis but it just goes back to "test z axis" as well as test cut motor,.. the x and y xais' test and guve info but not the others.. the error code came on during a project, this machine is a first model but only has about 7 hours on it. I bought it used from an older gent who wasn't physically able to use it anymore due to health problems. I have ran 5 or 6 projects myself and was just getting the hang of it when it hit..the last project I ran i used a board that was boarderline 1/2"... not sure if thaty caused this problem...PLEASE can anyone help me?

I would start off with seeing if your machine has the A907 Zpak upgrade since you stated it is a first model, A machine. The link here will help you identify if it is or not.
    Your symptoms sound very similar to what I was having with my A machine. You can also call into CarveWright and they should be able to tell you based on your machine ID number.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...rt/A907_id.pdf
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default does not have the upgrade

Thanks for taking time to help Mr harris,,,, It has the old board

Give them a call on this and describe your problem and I bet they will get you set up for the upgrade.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

thks for your help ...you said it sounded like a problem you had b4.... what was the cure?

a907 upgrade fixed me right up. I was having the Z stall errors like you are having. When I called in they looked up my machine info and saw that my machine did not have the upgrade.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Then the Fix is to order the Kit and replace the parts. The Older 18 pin FFC Cable was thinner than the newer 14 pin system. The 14 pin has been very reliable. Most likely one of the very thin 18 conductors of the early cable has opened or broken.

Remember when you finish installing the kit the machine will start up with "Scan Area" in the LCD and you will need to follow the instruction to change the Probe Data input from Truck to Cover... The Connector on the inside of the cover keypad side.

Good Luck with your machine.... Since your machine also has the early generation of Board Detector, I would order one now and save on shipping later. Your board detector is not glued to the black plastic holder and vibration will cause the LED's to snap off. This also let dust get down inside the plastic window. The way to test the Board Sensor is to put a sheet of white copy paper on the board and crank the head down. Use the Options and Sensor Data and a 156 for Board Sensor is PERFECT.... A 90 would be a dirty lens.

If you still have the QC, I would consider changing to the ROCK Chuck or the CarveTite. The QC will wear out and vibrate like crazy at high RPM and you could damage the L2 Coil in the power supply giving you a Power Interruption as the machine looses power and it can also cause the C1 Capacitor on the X Termination board under the machine to snap off. This would not let the Cut Motor work properly.... and can even cause the cut motor to start without the computer telling it to start.... So never bypass the right side cover safety switch....

OK.... Stepping off my Soap Box.... Find Tips and Tricks on the CW Site and read them. Lots more good info.... Especially on Proper Lubrication of the Flex Shaft.... $75.00 plus Shipping to ignore it.... In$entive....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-21-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

well i just ordered the Zpack kot and hopefully i'll be up and running in a week or so... thx e1 for your inputs..... I know this machine will be worth it in the long run, it's just hard to swallow , a machine built to carve wood is so sensitive to sawdust....BTW i already replaced the board sensor... thx all

I too am stuck in the old z-axis stall. It happened once when it was carving corian. Now it happens when the truck is going over to the kick out plate on the right side of the machine. I have replaced the board sensor, which from the readings showed bad anyway... I have tried every trick that I have read about.... from switching the direction I have the flex shaft in the casing, the dime trick, cleaning out the chuck where the bit fits into... making sure the bit is all the way in, so now they are telling me that it is a short somewhere and to check all the connections and make sure each is tight and I may have to send it in to be fixed... which I am not looking forward to seeing that bill. So I did find the ribbon wire, I think its called an ffc cable .. looks like it has a little nick int he bottom of the ribbon... cant tell if its cut thru to the wire... but I ordered one of those so I am crossing my fingers... I am pretty stubborn and really don't want to send it in!
    Last edited by katec911; 03-21-2012 at 03:34 PM.

but boy do I miss my machine!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast