Thread: distorted litho

Unhappy distorted litho

Just want to say the lithophanes ya'll do are great I tried my first one by using the January2009 tips and tricks and my Lithophane came out distorted I used a 8x10 photo and scanned it to my computer I thought it might be the photo so I scanned a different photo 8X10 and tried my second litho and it turned out the same way what can I be doing wrong Thanks for any help

Distorted can mean a lot of different things.

By distorted, do you mean low resolution and a lot of "trash"? You either need to use a digital photograph or have the highest quality resolution scanner available. The machine will carve exactly what you give it, so a low resolution scanned photograph will give you a low resolution litho.

By distorted, do you mean stretched or skewed? You would need to make sure you use the corners to enlarge or decrease the size; not the side or top & bottom nodes.

Post a photo of the litho, so we can have a better idea of what you are talking about.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I had tried to take a picture but it was not clear but the face of the portrait was stretched and it looked like the elephant woman, what resolution should the scan be I have a new canon machine and the picture was taken by a portrait studio

Highest DPI resolution possible by your machine, the more the dpi the larger the file size but more detail can be extracted from the image. If you can get the digital copy from the studio that would be much better but if not then a high quality scan is the only option.

Stephen

Make sure you're not allowing the machine to scale the project.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Make sure you're not allowing the machine to scale the project.
    Even when the machine scales a project, it keeps it in proportion. It wouldn't skew it.

Hmmmm, I think we need to see the image maybe.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

actually it came out to be about 7x9 in designer but i enlarged it to 8x10 to fit the corian didn't know it made a difference due to the picture was 8x10 i'll have to try the size it gives me.

Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    actually it came out to be about 7x9 in designer but i enlarged it to 8x10 to fit the corian didn't know it made a difference due to the picture was 8x10 i'll have to try the size it gives me.
    To keep the width-to-height ratio the same with enlarging the width from 7" to 8" would mean you'd need to go to 10.285" tall. Or, if you want the 10" height you'd need the wdith set to 7.77".

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    To keep the width-to-height ratio the same with enlarging the width from 7" to 8" would mean you'd need to go to 10.285" tall. Or, if you want the 10" height you'd need the wdith set to 7.77".
    Or just use the RED dots only, to stretch it. It may not fit exactly, but it will be the correct ratio.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

sorry I did not get back to everybody but I figured out my problem it was the pictures I was scanning I done a couple other photo's and they came out perfect thanks for everyones help