Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Ebay sales of others patterns hurt this forum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Does Ebay sales of others patterns hurt this forum?

I received the comment below from sfsales2000 where they feel that using other peoples paterns in there disk is not hurting this forum. And no one is changing how much they help or post. Please respond on how you feel. I have seen reduced postings of patterns and I attribute it to these sales. Some have removed all there past posts. If these were your own design I would back you 100% on selling your own item is fine. But sfsales2000 has not made that claim at all.

"Many of my patterns have been distributed through out the internet by others. I also have found the forum helpful and have seen no decrease in forum members helping each other, I often give many of my patterns away to someone who needs one. Many many members also make more money selling their patterns on the internet and through the forum then they do selling items they make with their carvewright.

- sfsales2000"

I don't know if it hurts this forum or not. I do feel however that people selling others peoples patterns are the sleaziest of people. They are nothing more than common thieves! When someone creates a pattern it is technically copy-written. These sleazeballs steal the work to line their own products.

It sure has hurt the forum!!! Many people (including myself) have stopped posting their free patterns here because of this very same issue. In the good old days I would give a WAG there were probably 20 to 50 patterns posted in one day. Not even close to that now days...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You mean Jonny, the one that told us all, if we do not want him taking our patterns to not post them here. His site was short lived, and it was never determined if he is a seller or not. He and the ebay sellers started the decline of shared patterns. That was back in Jan 2011.

Quick check on sfsales2000, is he has sold 70 cd's at about 25 each. That comes to $1,750 he has made off others in the last year. I have made a total of $65 from sales of my patterns in the last year. Hmmmm makes one think doesn't it.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

5. Default

you have nice patterns, why don't you make a CD and put it for sale on Ebay, wouldn't the $1.750 be better than the $65? I do also think that most ebay buyers do not use or maybe even know about the forum. I didn't when I bought my machine and my first 500 patterns on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    You mean Jonny, the one that told us all, if we do not want him taking our patterns to not post them here. His site was short lived, and it was never determined if he is a seller or not. He and the ebay sellers started the decline of shared patterns. That was back in Jan 2011.

Quick check on sfsales2000, is he has sold 70 cd's at about 25 each. That comes to $1,750 he has made off others in the last year. I have made a total of $65 from sales of my patterns in the last year. Hmmmm makes one think doesn't it.

6. Default

And I yours ....

Thank you very much.

Can anyone answer is it possible to convert a PDF to a Pattern.

Thanks

Leo

8. Default

I have up to know kept from commenting on all the ebay threads because I didnt want to get into the fray and I felt like a hypocrite if I did say anything. When I first started with my Carvewright I bought one of the ebay cd's from seller sharkteeman and I still use alot of the patterns. I later found the forum and got lots of patterns from here. I think many have done the same. To be honest even after finding the forum and the link from ask bud to search through the pattern sharing section of this forum I still bought a military cd on ebay because it had lots of military patterns all in one place and it was easy. Searching this forum for patterns can be daunting and the search function is often hit or miss. I have only been a member for a little over a year and I have seen many who used to share patterns have now opened their own websites and sell the patterns themselves bypassing LHR. I can only assume that it is to keep more of the profits since LHR takes a good cut. I have often been sent private messages from members of this forum offering to sell CD's for hundreds of dollars and I don't know how many of those patterns were truly their own or a combination of their own and forum patterns. On my computer I put them all in the same folder with sub folders by subject. I don't separate where they came from.

I guess the way I look at it is I paid for the service of someone finding all the patterns ( and I don't know if the CD's contained a mix of patterns they made and ones from this forum or what) compiling all the patterns, categorizing, and putting them on one CD where I could get to them easily. The CD's I bought had patterns categorized by subject and it was sure easy to find what I wanted. Since I saw that many were really upset about the ebay patterns I stopped buying them and try to buy from forum members websites. I have only bought a couple from LHR because their prices seem higher. I would like to become a member of pattern super store for the vector 2d patterns but I just can't afford it. My Carvewright is still a hobby that has paid for it self but I still have a 50 or more hour a week job that leaves me little other time.

One last note, I have been wanting to learn to make 3d patterns so I could start selling them because it does seem like some people on here are putting more emphasis on selling patterns than making sawdust. Makes me think that I could probably make more hobby money selling patterns but I just have not found the time to learn how to make them. I am good at taking logo's etc and using paint.net making decent patterns but not full on 3d.

LHR does have tax forms. You are right, Greg, it would be a real commitment almost comparable to another Bud or Michael. It was just a thought.
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-08-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: sp

This might be a good time to advertise that using the PatternDepot to sell your patterns is a SECURE method (possibly the ONLY secure store) due to the licensing of the patterns. No one can STEAL them.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast