Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Way You Slice It Is Easy!

Default Any Way You Slice It Is Easy!

I've talked to several of you , and a question that often comes up is "That "STL" thing is cool, but I don't get how to slice up an object and make it come out right. What can I do if I want to make 3D stuff?"
    Good question. I have been looking at different 3D programs out there just to keep up with what's going on and because I'm always on the lookout for stuff that seems fun...so after finding Autodesk123D, I looked at their application and then happened upon the "autodesk123D Make" application. With it, you can import an .stl and let their application slice it up. Now, the current offering is that they give you an option to have the object printed as pieces on cardboard, which they'll send to you. The other option is to download several .eps sheets with all the pieces layed out. What the heck kind of object would a guy like me want to slice up?

What can you do with those sheets? You could enlarge them from the 10.5" maximum size...save them as .dxf files, import them into CarveWright's Designer...then cut them out super fast! It looks like a bunch of pieces..but it really only took me about an hour to glue them all up. For those of you who might be .stl challenged, this might be the ticket. I didn't have to think about which plane to slice the rocket...and where to slice...it did it all. This rocket is about 32" tall...

The Autodesk123D app is in Beta...so expect some changes and improvements. It's a great time to own a CarveWright, I'll tell you that!
    Last edited by Dhaffner; 03-03-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: addition

That is great. Please share more. I would love to see the file that the program sliced up. Please share the MPC file also. I have been trying to do the same thing. I purchase the CoralDraw but I'm still in the infant stage.

Thnaks

Leo

That would be a great project to make with a Ringmaster. You could use less wood by making it hollow, and angle cut each ring for a smoother fit.

Is there a problem with your machine ? the rings don't look perfectly round . Some look like they have a bump on the outside ,just curious.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    That would be a great project to make with a Ringmaster. You could use less wood by making it hollow, and angle cut each ring for a smoother fit.

Is there a problem with your machine ? the rings don't look perfectly round . Some look like they have a bump on the outside ,just curious.
    later Daniel
    Daniel,

I think what you are seeing are the tabs from holding the pieces when carving. Very common to leave tab remnants during glue-up, then sand everything after the glue is dry. Or perhaps it's just the bit marks...after looking again I see some slight burning...probably a soon-to-be-replaced bit might have been used. No matter - wait until Doug's finished product. I guarantee it will be awesome after sanding, texturing, finishing, etc.

Doug,

We're havin' fun now aren't we?!! Good stuff.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-03-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Some more to do...but it's about there. I wanted it to look like it had been sitting and rusting for a decade or two...

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rockbase.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	51854
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocketbot.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	51855

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaffner View Post
    Some more to do...but it's about there. I wanted it to look like it had been sitting and rusting for a decade or two...

Pretty Awesome, Doug! Are those two different rockets? One looks "fatter" than the other - probably just the camera angle, but thought I would ask!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Nah. You just gotta remember that the camera adds 10 pounds...

jk

Looking good Doug. Another item we are going to see at the conference this year?
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Up, Up, Away. Excellent .

Capt Barry

When did you say the launch is taking place?

That's awesome. Is this the one that will be taking us to Mars?
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast