Thread: Playin' with 3D!

Default Playin' with 3D!

So I spent some time today playing with Autodesk's free app. called autodesk123d Catch. I quickly took about 35 images of my big old robot in the yard, and imported them into the app. It did some "cooking" and provided this scene...it isn't video, but a stitched together 3d scene created from the images.

I then seperated the robot from the ground/house/car..etc. This is the robot as a 3D obj. in another free app. called "Hexagon 3d" From Daz studios. Why use it? It exports .stl!

Now you may (or not) be saying..."What does this have to do with CarveWright? I don't get it?"
    Fair question.
    1. If I can take a bunch of pictures of an item and generally reproduce it in 3D on the CarveWright, that's pretty cool.
    2. If I sculpt an object by hand at a small scale...I can take photos, create a 3d object which I can enlarge (or shrink) and reproduce
    THAT on the CarveWright...yeah!

Here's the quick and dirty version of my robot imported into the .stl app. for Designer.

VERY cool-- I've been playing with 123d catch myself a bit - pretty cool program

Thanks for sharing,
    Lawrence

I tried 123D catch, but the item I photographed had a background that was too plain and it didn't work very well. Kind of the opposite of what you normally expect when thinking about 3d scanning, so I am going to try it again with a background with more reference points.

Yeah, my first attempt failed horribly. I set an object in my workshop and spun it around taking pictures....the result was that the app. had no reference points from the background to help determine the shape of the object..duh.
    Also, if the background and the object are too similar, that creates problems. I've tried to do my rocket and the legs keep
    disappearing....so it takes some practice, but I think it has potential.