Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planing corian

Default planing corian

i aquired about a 3 by 5 foot piece of half inch corian.... I know I can cut it to size but I would like to get some feedback about whether or not I should run the corian through my planer so I can get it down to 1/4 in. I also have a router thickness jig that would work to but the planer would definitely be quicker and smoother... I have a dewalt 735 planer and I wonder if I buy the carbide blades which are available would do the trick... any suggestions would be appreciated...

I don't see any problem on planning the corian, don't be too agreesive with your depth of cut.

Capt Barry

I know of others who have planed down 1/2". It does make the planer work hard and like Capt Barry stated do small passes at a time. And sure hope you have dust collection on the planer, it will be snow city if ya don't...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

If you're going to buy carbide blades for the Dewalt 735 you should consider buying the helix cutter head with the carbide. What a difference!!!

yep, definitely got dust collection... i've used planers without it and have no desire to do that again...lol helix cutter head.... forgot about those... hmmmmm. maybe after I get my second carvewright, i'll have to see about that....I figured on taking really light passes. just wasn't sure how it would do.... thanks for the feedback....

Carbide comes in different grades or hardness, you should use a C4 type grade if you plan on planing corian. This is a link to the brand
    of carbide I use at work http://ceeindustrial.com/public/data...1224253357.pdf. If you look at page 5 and 6 of the pfd
    it should give you an idea of what im talking about. I use the T04MG on all my insert tooling, its good for just about anything. If you
    were to use something like the T10MF in a planer on corian, the knives will get very dull after about a foot, no matter how much your taking off.
    I've never looked into getting carbide knives on my planer at home so I don't know whats available. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

If you know what size litho you re doing then you can use the cw o plane it for you, set up your board in designer for 1/2 material, and using vectors with a 3/8 or 1/2 in straight bit draw lines over the part of the board you want to take down to 1/4". its it much safer than using the planer. I have run into some real trouble with the planer on solid surface corian. If you do plane it then use a carrier board because the slick nature of the product wont feed into the planer easily

Quote Originally Posted by Sallen1215 View Post
    If you know what size litho you re doing then you can use the cw o plane it for you, set up your board in designer for 1/2 material, and using vectors with a 3/8 or 1/2 in straight bit draw lines over the part of the board you want to take down to 1/4". its it much safer than using the planer. I have run into some real trouble with the planer on solid surface corian. If you do plane it then use a carrier board because the slick nature of the product wont feed into the planer easily
    Definitely interested in this "Planing" technique you speak of. Can you provide more info, maybe a pic or two?

Bert no problem i will post pictures and a step by step when im off work tomorrow if that's ok.
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

That would be great! I am interested in Lithos. And I have a line on some scrap pieces that are 1/2"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast