Thread: Text Issues

1. Default Text Issues

Ok, First of all, I am a rookie with the carvewright since mine is only a week old. I am trying to do some text work, and not sure where I am going wrong. I would like to carve the entire sign, leaving only the lettering that I want. I have tried all the settings that I can find, with no success. I have not yet purchased the centerline text software, which I am sure I will have to have before long. I am looking to start making custom signs.

I have worked with a couple of different images that I was able to copy off of websites, I notice when I carve them, the lettering comes out very poor. Not sure if this is due to the size of the lettering, or if I am doing something wrong.

Im pretty new here and pretty much lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dean

Default Sign with raise text

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dean View Post
    Ok, First of all, I am a rookie with the carvewright since mine is only a week old. I am trying to do some text work, and not sure where I am going wrong. I would like to carve the entire sign, leaving only the lettering that I want. I have tried all the settings that I can find, with no success. I have not yet purchased the centerline text software, which I am sure I will have to have before long. I am looking to start making custom signs.

I have worked with a couple of different images that I was able to copy off of websites, I notice when I carve them, the lettering comes out very poor. Not sure if this is due to the size of the lettering, or if I am doing something wrong.

Im pretty new here and pretty much lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dean
    I presume that you wish raised text for your sign.
    You need to make a carve region for the text to be placed in. This means your design board will be larger than your needed sign (wider, top to bottom) by about 2 inches. This provides the rails you need for the upper rollers to stay compressed. Make the carve region slightly larger than the size if the finished sign, and the same as you make yout text. Your view of the design will show you the look as you continue to finish your design work.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

to put in text go to top and click on T for text , then clik in board and you can pick any text from the list on right ,
    then just type in your words and pick raster or outline and hit enter , know you can center text and size it to fit the area you want it in.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

4. Default text issues

What I am having happen, is it is carving the lettering, but it leaves the lettering so thin, that it is breaking out the letters. This is happening even with text size as large as one inch. Is it possible that I am either using the wrong type of bit, or that I have a bad bit? I am not really sure but it doesnt seem that the size of the text, or the font makes any difference in the breakout. I appreciate all the responses, and all the help.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dean View Post
    What I am having happen, is it is carving the lettering, but it leaves the lettering so thin, that it is breaking out the letters. This is happening even with text size as large as one inch. Is it possible that I am either using the wrong type of bit, or that I have a bad bit? I am not really sure but it doesnt seem that the size of the text, or the font makes any difference in the breakout. I appreciate all the responses, and all the help.

Dean
    First, Attach your MPC.
    Second, are you using the tapered carving bit?
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Here is a Sign I am working on tonight. The Letters are Raster Text and the thing Ask Bud is going to tell you after He looks at your MPC is that you can add some "DRAFT" to the letters... Draft is the Side Taper or Volcano Look to the letter.... Wide at the bottom and narrower at the top... It helps stabilize the letters. I included the mpc for you to look at. I did it on 5/4 wood and cut the front twice flipping the board length wise. I traced the Pond and Trees from a Vinyl Sign that was at the Customers First House.. That is why the non standard trees. In the close up picture you can see I did a Draft on the letters but not on the Trees or pond. IF you don't have the 2 fonts I used loaded on YOUR computer, they will show up in between two fonts that you DO have.... And you will need to load that font on your computer....

Find Tips and Tricks and read them too for more help.

Good Luck,

AL

The Cut Path is only just a few passes then I cut it with a Jig Saw as it was too thick for the CW.

I cut the same mpc twice and flipped it length wise as to do a 2 sided sign on one mpc you need to flip your artwork up side down.... As you ROLL the Board for a 2 sided sign. They say FLIP the board but you are really ROLLING in. Traced Artwork like the Pond and trees don't FLIP to do a back side so you need to trace them again.... Too much work... Just run the same mpc with the SAME Scrap on each end... My Art turned out to be off by 1/4 inch in length so I gave the Customer a $50.00 Discount... A $300.00 Sign...
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    First, Attach your MPC.
    Second, are you using the tapered carving bit?
    AskBud
    I hate to necro an old thread, but is it better to use a tapered bit or straight bit for signs/cutting letters?

Hey Al,
    When you say you did 2 cut passes... does that mean you just stop the machine and pull out the board to finish cutting it by hand? OR is there another way to use the cutting bit, have it run twice around the board (setting a depth for each pass of course), then just stop and end the project?

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Here is a Sign I am working on tonight. The Letters are Raster Text and the thing Ask Bud is going to tell you after He looks at your MPC is that you can add some "DRAFT" to the letters... Draft is the Side Taper or Volcano Look to the letter.... Wide at the bottom and narrower at the top... It helps stabilize the letters. I included the mpc for you to look at. I did it on 5/4 wood and cut the front twice flipping the board length wise. I traced the Pond and Trees from a Vinyl Sign that was at the Customers First House.. That is why the non standard trees. In the close up picture you can see I did a Draft on the letters but not on the Trees or pond. IF you don't have the 2 fonts I used loaded on YOUR computer, they will show up in between two fonts that you DO have.... And you will need to load that font on your computer....

Find Tips and Tricks and read them too for more help.

Good Luck,

AL

The Cut Path is only just a few passes then I cut it with a Jig Saw as it was too thick for the CW.

I cut the same mpc twice and flipped it length wise as to do a 2 sided sign on one mpc you need to flip your artwork up side down.... As you ROLL the Board for a 2 sided sign. They say FLIP the board but you are really ROLLING in. Traced Artwork like the Pond and trees don't FLIP to do a back side so you need to trace them again.... Too much work... Just run the same mpc with the SAME Scrap on each end... My Art turned out to be off by 1/4 inch in length so I gave the Customer a $50.00 Discount... A $300.00 Sign...
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"