Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Celtic Cross

1. Default

I put a few celtic crosses up on the depot here.

They don't have previews yet unless you click on each individually. I have a couple more going up tomorrow but they may not be accepted right away.

Alan

Thanks for the upload of "Your Celtic Cross" bergerud. Just a quick question for you or anyone, I'm having issues scaling down the entire cross. I would like to make a smaller version, somewhere around 8" x 5.5." If I grab one of the yellow triangles in the corner, I can scale down the rectangle but I'm left with a smaller blank outline of the cross shape. The pattern and cutout stay behind. Is there a quick and easy way to scale down the whole thing at once? Thanks in advance. This forum is always great!

Just select all before you try and scale it down with a yellow corner handle. (It is not my cross. Someone else shared it on the forum years ago.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 05-05-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks! I finally got it going. I was thinking that double clicking the cross should select all but once I did Ctrl-A it selected everything and I scaled it down.

What woods have you used to carve this? My test piece is in pine but it is a little fuzzy. But the carve was a lot smaller.

Thanks again and to whomever originally designed this! It is exactly what my wife has been looking for.

I'm back begging for more help! I really do appreciate the help and tips.

I've been able to carve a few of these crosses but I can't quite get the look I want. I'm trying to invert the pattern like dltccf did previously. However, I'm trying to keep the top of the pattern at the height of my board, which is .5" and just carve the lines. I think I'm having height and depth issues when doing this as the top of the pattern is still a little bit below the top surface of the board and the carved lines aren't deep enough. In the original pattern posted here, the height is 100 and the depth is .150. I'm trying to get a flat cross with the carved lines about that depth.

The main reason doing this is that I'm trying to do a crackle painted finish.

Thanks again.

Just increasing the height may be all you have to do.

I think that is what I'm struggling with. With the pattern inverted, should I be taking the height to 200 or 999, or something else to bring it to the surface? Then, should I change the depth to something other than .150 to get a little deeper and more defining carve for the lines?

I really do appreciate the help. I have a few more scraps to test on but after that I will have to start cutting wood.

Just play with the numbers. You can check the results in Designer by moving the mouse over the pattern and looking at the z height in the lower left of the screen.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying now. If I rotate the board and look at it that way, I can see the board get thinner and thinner as I approach a height of 0, but also lose the detail of the carving. If I go to 999, the board appears to be full (.5) thickness, but the carve time gets a lot longer. Right now I'm going to test at a height of 999 and a depth of .125.

Height is a "Relative" number. 999 goes all the way to the top of the board, 0 at the bottom of the board. so if you go to .25 and not getting enough detail, increase the height. Getting the correct Height/Depth settings make all of the difference in the world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123