Thread: need board placement help

Default need board placement help

getting ready to carve this and need to know which side to place against control panel side
    Board has a crack that will be in the scrap area if board is placed correctly.

thanks
    Last edited by jaustin; 02-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    John

Hi Jaustin,
    Place side 1 against the control panel side since it will carve "upside down" compared to what you see in Designer. Be sure your side facing the controll panel is straight and flat. Put masking tape on its bottom face to ensure the brass wheel has a good bite all along that edge for accurate registration during the carve. Show us the result when it carves please.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

If the picture shown by Jaustin is how it looks in designer, wouldn't you need side 3 against the control panel side since it carves "upside down"? I can see that having the edge without the 'cracks' on the control panel side would be preferable but that would require rotating the layout in designer, wouldn't it? Or the short question: what am I missing?

David

Originally posted by Rob (HighTechOkie)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project_placement.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	51287

Default Design and board orientation

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Hi Jaustin,
    Place side 1 against the control panel side since it will carve "upside down" compared to what you see in Designer. Be sure your side facing the controll panel is straight and flat. Put masking tape on its bottom face to ensure the brass wheel has a good bite all along that edge for accurate registration during the carve. Show us the result when it carves please.
    Capt. Bruce is correct!
    Re-do your design.
    Place your edge #1 at the top of designer, as it is the better orientation of the good surface.
    Then re-draw your lines and orient the deer pattern as needed. This will place the cracked edge away from the keyboard.
    As you place the actual board in the machine, make sure it is oriented the same as the design.

We all presume that the crack does not cause any warp like affect, as we would then need to re think our usage of that material. It may be usable, but may entail a sled and proper placement to be viable.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I ended up putting edge 3 towards keyboard. i found the info that PCW posted in the tips and tricks area and went with it.
    I will find out when it is done carving for sure.

The cracks i am trying to keep in the scrap area.
    Last edited by jaustin; 02-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    John

OK... In NAVY LINGO.... The TOP edge of the Designer or the TOP OF THE PAGE is the PORT SIDE.... And ALSO the BRASS ROLLER EDGE.... And the RIGHT Side of Designer is the BOW and the POINTY END and goes into the machine FIRST under the muffler side.... The Bottom of he Designer Board is the Starboard Side and the Sliding Guide Edge....

Hope this HELPS.... TOP OF DESIGNER BRASS ROLLER EDGE....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

well guess I really wont know for sure cracked ended up where I didn't want it.
    It was a 2 sided carve and i think if i would of just loaded the board and not worried about it, it would of turned out fine.

I will post the finished proto type design in a week or two if I get it finished.
    It is going to be a rifle rack when finished.
    John

The danger you have running this project is that the board will get WIDER mid board and this can cause a JAM at the Brass Roller Side... Place your fingers on the left and right side of the machine where the board is up against the left side or brass roller side... That 90 degree metal has been known to catch a side splinter..... IF I were doing it... I would RIP the board on a Table Saw to size... At least WIDTH.... Then cut matching 4 inch long and width blocks and use masking tape and even a little glue if required of scrap wood... Use Center on Board or Place on END....

I bet the machine will fault out on the measuring of the board.... I tried this same adventure once on a large cracked board.... It cost me a broken X Gear....

You place a 4 inch dead area in the right side of Designer....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b2.jpg   DSC00793_WEB.jpg   DSC09787_WEB.jpg   DSC09788_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I didn't use the Caevewright to cut it out, I had it to mark a 0.031 path so I will know where to cut it out on the table saw.it is acutally 2 boards .75" thick total of 1.5" thick the same deer carved on both sides.

I also did have 4" extra on both ends of the board.

only thing I was trying to do was to orient the board so when it carved the 0.031 lines the cracks in the board would of been in the scrap area.
    John