Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back port (DB25)?

Default Back port (DB25)?

Hi,

anyone nows the real purpose of this port? Is there a pinout diagram or electrical diagram of some sort somewhere?

Thanks,
    Felix

That port is used for calibration purposes at the factory. Not used for really anything else.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

atauer,

I'm not saying your wrong about this but it seems a rather expensive solution for doing just that, I assume it as to be wired somehow to the controller board, so there are some wires in there, that cost money both for material and labor and if you add to that the visible connector itself and those inside probably, may be just one though but still quite an expense it would seem. Don't you think?

Thanks,
    Felix

When I first got my machine I was concerned aboutdust getting into it and put a piece of duct tape over it.
    I have sent that machine in for repairs twice in the four years since then and the tape has never been tampered with.
    It seems it is not used for anything.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

Alex is right, its used for calibration purposes only.

Any software used to communicate through the port is NOT included in the standard firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    I did not mean to imply that Alex was incorrect, just that they were not used for that purpose on either "fix" when returned to Texas for repair.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post

Any software used to communicate through the port is NOT included in the standard firmware.
    This last phrase, that I can understand and it fine by me.

If I was the designer of the machine and had to convinced the company to spent the extra money to build that port, all the extra hardware, the extra software development (to calibrate...) and extra labor to put all this in the machine. Well either the company as very poor management or that thing can do way much more then it appear, but it’s a secret of course.

Regards,
    Felix

I am sure it plays a big part in programming the Inital Firmware into the computer at the Factory. I am willing to bet that with the correct Ladder Logic Software or similar program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_logic Like I used at SONY to access the Program used in the Factory Automation making Picture Tubes. We would find that all the Switch contacts and Motor Drivers would be shown... As would the keypad stuff... I am looking for a old BAD Computer if anyone has one to "Disect"......

If some of you remember when LHR added the Update that let a device plug into the DB 25 that outputted to a TALKING MODULE.... Yes, there is a way to make your CW TALK.... I kid you not.... In fact if you read back all the Designer Updates, there was a Quick Update that fixed a Delay on Start Up that was related to waiting for a reply from the Talking Module.... The Fix, I believed booted the machine with the Talking NOT ENABLED or OFF... It had Booted in TALK ENABLED or ON and that caused the Blank Display that "FREEKED PEOPLE OUT...".... Hello Call Center X1000

I talked to the Inventor a few times, I believe Mario was his name... He had made a device that could plug into the CW and SPEAK everything that the LCD Display had on it... A really GREAT IDEA for a Visually Impaired Person... He had a working version for a Digital Protractor too and was trying to market it but failed.... He was caught up in the Economy and even with my efforts to Hook him up with my Manufacturing Friend in San Diego, the Project died... He needed to go back to Work to survive and couldn't invest any more money into the talking project. SO with that said... The DB 25 Does have the LCD Data on it.... I really tried to get him to share the SECRET of the DB 25 but He was under the Confidentially Agreement, I believe, and could not in good faith share Proprietary Data about the Machine....

I would sure like to see the Project brought back to LIFE... The interface from the Digital Protractor was a 1/8 inch mini jack I believe...

He was trying to get the Circuit Boards made for the CW to go from Prototype to Production Version when I lost contact with him... Sad really... A GREAT IDEA.... With MY use of REMOTE Carving and monitoring via a Wireless Intercom, the Speech Version would be pretty COOL.... Now I plan to have a camera on the LCD to see the data from the Laser Shop... Next door...

It's Nice to DREAM... I would even be interested in working with the project.... Hint... Hint....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    We would find that all the Switch contacts and Motor Drivers would be shown... As would the keypad stuff...
    Personnaly, I don't see any logical and financial reasons to put this plug there if it's not to get FULL access to the machines heart sort of speak. But it's very likely it take the form of a com port and not a hardwired type of thing. I'm also very surprised nobody as hack it yet and of course let the world know about it.

Maybe some day.

Thanks,
    Felix

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

Lol. Ya'll are thinking too hard. Especially for a 5 cent port. It's really not that spectacular.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast