Thread: Y Gear and Shaft Inspection

Default Y Gear and Shaft Inspection

I have the Y gear and housing unit removed from the motor, on the back side of the housing unit I removed the retaining clip from the back of the Y gear shaft. Then when I try to remove it, it doesn't want to slide out.
    I don't want to force it before asking for help, I was curious if there might be a set screw still holding it and posted a couple pics for you to see.....thank you for any advise or instuctions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y gear1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	682.4 KB 
ID:	51047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y gear2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	528.9 KB 
ID:	51049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y gear3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	740.3 KB 
ID:	51050
    Paul J.
    A wise man once said to me, "Hey, the taco's are ready".

The shaft is held only by the clip you removed. If you are replacing the bearings, then go ahead and push out the shaft. If you are just inspecting, there is no need to get the shaft out; you may not want to force it. You can feel the condition of the bearings without taking it apart.

Bergerud.....this all started from a Y Stall I had that came back to haunt me just as AL predicted.....lol.....I have over 700 hours logged with this being by far the largest repair I have needed to make....even then it's not as much of a repair as it is preventive maintenance.....I'm already replacing all the bearings and order some misc. parts just to have on hand, so I'd really like to remove the shaft.....but just how much force is needed, cause I can't just pull it out by hand?
    Paul J.

Mine did not need much force at all to remove. That was at about 300 hours and the bearings were not really bad. If you have new bearings to replace the old ones, then go ahead and tap it out. Support the casing with blocks of wood and, with a soft punch, tap it out. I cannot imagine that it would take too much. Of course a small press would be better and you may need to use one if it is really stubborn. Just be careful not to damage the casing. The shaft may already be damaged after 700 hours. Maybe Al may have some suggestions. Good luck.

Just use a center punch to tap the shaft out.

The bearings come in from each end with a metal stop in the center of the hole. So place a small screwdriver into the center of the bearing and tap the old ones out.

The Threaded Hole in the Gear Box is for when that Gear Box is used in the Z Position. It is where the spring loaded spring screws in. Yes, that gear box can be used in the Y Position. IF you used a Y Gear Box in the Z Position it would not have a hole for the spring loaded screw. BUT you could hold the tension while you tightened the screws and a Y in the Z would work... The Spring only holds until gear box is screwed to the Z Truck. The Y Spring is on the far side of the keypad screwed into the Y belt return.

700 hours... Good time to replace the Y Bearings...... 250 next time.... You will get better performance out of your machine.

Be sure to watch the MESHING of the Motor Shaft to the Big Gear..... Snug but not TOO Tight.... Turn the gear and watch and listen.... Too Loose of a mesh and it will stall or skip teeth.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Bergerud & AL.....I tapped it out just before AL's post.....upon inspection of the big white plastic gear, all the teeth seem to be in contact but I did notice that the tips of the teeth are kinda curled over.....best way to describe it is like white cap of a tidal wave.
    Visually you can see a very slight tapering on the shaft itself where its in contact with the bearing.....I'm gonna go ahead and tap out the bearings now, I'm so glad you told me there are two bearings there.....I wouldn't have guessed that.....once I get this out, I'll be ready to put my parts list togther for CW to order, si there a part number for those bearings or should I order them from the other place you linked me to?

Thanks Al and Bergerud......this has been a great hands on learning experience for me.
    Paul J.

The new gear and shaft is only about $7 +shipping of course so order several of some other stuff. Someone posted a source for the bearings in bulk and cheep - I have to re-find that.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Cest.....thanks, AL sent me the link to the bearings already and I bookmarked it.....I'm gonna order a bunch of spare parts from CW so the S&H is worth it......might even upgrade my belts......but thanks for the input.
    Paul J.