Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun while it lasted!

As I said before, at least keep a carving machine so you will have a reason to stay here on the forum.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Ike, I know the feeling first hand, and like everyone else here I"m really saddened to hear this bad news. Times are tuff, I know, but luck does happen as it did with me. As you know I had just landed a job after being laid off for over 2 years, 2 1/2 weeks into this new job I got my butt ran over in the parking lot by a co-worker durning lunch time, was off work for months, got fired or as they said let go becaused I filed a workers comp claim for the accident, (but I did win the case - not that really means a lot) and ended up getting recalled back to the place where I was laid off. So hang in there, you'll be in my prayers buddy, you have way too much wood in your blood just to give it up totally. Stay in touch on the forum, we need you. And good luck
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Dear Rick,
    As your whole community of friends have said you are in our prayers, and we're hoping that the dual position you have both applied for will be offered and help you make the changes needed. We all are deeply concerned when any member of our Forum, our second family falls on a rough patch. We cannot be there in person to help you up but please know we are with you if we can help in any way, you have but to ask. With or without a CW to touch and carve on, you are regardless one of our strongest sources of inspiration and help so you will always be a Carver among friends. I've been there myself and observed that the strong of spirit somehow rise above adversity, despite all the roadblocks the economy, disasters and life in general throw in our path. Finding the next open path is the challenge and the only tools you need to accomplish that are the honesty, spirit and intelligence you already have and share with all of us. Your friends are pulling for you Rick. Wishing you the best!
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Thank you all again! I really appreciate it very much. Like I said I hesitated several times to even post my situation. I really wasn't trying to to make everybody feel sorry for me. I guess I needed to share and I appreciate the prayers and knowing my true friends! The opportunity the wife and I have is a good one, but I will have very little time to do any carving or wood working. I want to go into more details, but until I know I have the job I am not sharing. It will be a job of servant to God.

I may seem negative, but until I sign my name I don't count on anything! Through my experience things go well and then go south. I am that guy if it can go wrong it will. One good sign is we had a phone interview for a screening and then they flew us to Portland Or. for a face to face interview. It went well and we have one more hurdle an interview with the regional manger who makes the final decision and that is where we stand.

On the flip side of the coin if it does not go through, then I have a slight chance of being to attend the fairs. That is if my wife finds a job before our savings run out. I go to smaller Northern Ca fairs and without State funding they will be going to the way side soon. So even if I was able to continue the fairs after this year they will most likely close and the fairs that can make it already have sign makers.

I will keep you posted when I know and I don't plan to stop visiting the forum if we do get the job. The problem is we will be downsizing and I may need to sell my CW's and other tools for lack of room. Not to mention I rather my CW's being used then sitting. Lol I say one day I will use my K2 CNC I bought new over 3 years ago and it sits with the motors still covered and parts in a box!

Anyone reading this new or senior members and need help on sign design, finishing or CW issues feel free to ask me. I may even make a video on making hand routed sign to sell. I have seen a video from a guy that....well I wouldn't buy his video! Am I saying I can do better...yes! I am not bragging it is just true!

Thank you again,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    As I said before, at least keep a carving machine so you will have a reason to stay here on the forum.
    Clint
    I on the other hand think that if the need be... Sell the CW Machines... You don't need to own a machine to be able to productively participate in this forum... Rick has a unusual background that brought insight and advice to the forum from YEARS of doing it the Traditional way that required SKILL and Training... Weather you learned from someone or just through the school of Hard Knocks.. Every Mistake is a learning Opportunity... We learn by Necisity... I would have never learned to cut 2 sided FRP with my machine had I had another source.... I learned because I needed to learn.... SO I Don't feel Sorry for IKE (Rick)... He is a Proud Productive AMERICAN and due to some things out of OUR control He is doing a Temporary Downsizing... Doors are Closing and NEW Doors are OPENING....

I am Proud of IKE for his first post... No SAD... I feel Sorry for myself.... Just the FACTS... This is the Crossroad that "I am AT TODAY" and I am making some Changes in my LIFE... Downsizing... The State of CA is not making it very easy on anyone.... The Fair System has changed and with NO State Money the Fair Operators just look at the Vendors as the Answer to the Cash FLOW.... Jack Up all the FEES Ike has to PAY... And that just is NOT Right... But faces with Closing... Some might remember in 2008 our Carving Buddy ChrisAlb helped me Deliver Wooden Carved County Fair Fire Competition Awards made on the CW. That was the last year..... It was a Saturday Night FREE EVENT in the Grand Stands... Fire Dept's from all over used fire hoses to push a Beer Barrel on a Cable between two poles.... A Compition.... Along with other tasks.... The following year at the last minute a Truck Pull PAY event kicked the Firemen out.... The end of a 30 year Tradition....

So Ike sells his machines as needed, He still participates as a VALUABLE RESOURCE to the MANY New Users HERE.... With YEARS of Finishing Experience.. A great ASSETT....

So fast forward 3 years.... The Economy is picking up... Ike (Rick) is ready to hit the County Fair Trail AGAIN... LHR has just released the "E" Version in a 24 inch... With a 3rd Axis built in to be able to cut 4 Cain's, Table Legs, or Baseball Bats at a time. Ike (Rick) has a new Motor Home and Fair Trailer Wood Shop.... The Short "REST" has enabled IKE (Rick) to focus on things that matter.... Now it is back to WORK..... As Ike drives off into the Sunset going to the First Fair of the YEAR..... And WE all live Happily EVER AFTER......

Ike (Rick) and I have a very very LONG History... We have traded many emails and PM over the years.... Many while I was painting a sign sitting next to my computer late at night on the east coast and Ike on the west coast.... I even have one of his used machines here....

OK... Your thinking... "AL's been Tipping the Brewski...." NO.... But I did get the BEST Night of SLEEP last night in 10 YEARS.... It was the first night using a CPAP Breathing Machine.... The thing that blows warm air into your nose while you sleep.... I have had Sleep Apnea for at least 10 years.... Never knew IT... Just know I was always TIRED.... Stopping Breathing at night.... This is a Test Machine... Has a Memory Card... The first test was a Headset I wore for 3 nights at HOME.... The VA Clinic was so backlogged for the Sleep Clinic they farmed it out.... Done by mail rather in a place where you sleep overnight... For me it would have been a 70 mile drive.... 6 times.... The home Version worked GREAT... The computer told me that 6% of last nights sleep breathing was being done by the machine.... NO Wonder I was always TIRED and Fatuige....

So that is my New Found ENERGY..... Time for a WALK.... Going to GET Healthy This YEAR.... My Sugar numbers are good for the first time in 3 years....

Good Luck IKE,

Check In OFTEN !!!!

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-04-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you Al I appreciate it very much! I am itching to tell about the job, but it will be such a long post and until we get the job I will wait until it is ours! I have told a couple members who called me and thank you again Michael and Ken! Al if you like give me a call and I will fill you in.

Plus if Cindy and I do get the job the chances are slim to none I will ever start up the fair circuit again. This job will mean we will need to move to Reno or Carson City Nevada. Not far from where we live. So there is an end to everything and I am okay with the end of RC Woodworks. My health is only getting worst and if by chance I do the fairs this year I will be sleeping in my shop. My dad wants to promote his business and last year I stayed in his motorhome. Staying in motels are too expensive and takes away the profit. I don't have the money to buy a camper or RV so the shop floor will be my home!

Fast forward for us will be moving up in this company and all our bills paid! Then maybe we will buy another home with a shop and back to woodworking!

Rick
    Last edited by Ike; 02-04-2012 at 04:24 PM.

WOW is all I say! This is a second family, some brothers, some first cousin and some cousins twice removed! Thank you Tom for first of the calls and Michael and Ken and Al. Then all who has posted with all the support! I ask for prayers for this job we face still one maybe two hurdles. I really want to believe God is closing the doors to my sign shop to open the door for this job. Yet I know from the past we have had doors opened because of our desires and learned from the bad experience. I hope this is not the case and this is God's direction and not our desire.

So when I know I will share and explain the whole thing!

Rick

Hi Ike
    You do not know me and I only know you through your posts to this woodworking community,how ever I have followed your posts since July of 2009. Your posts (2960 andcounting) have been educational (if I remember correctly I learned abouttorching the fuzz from the carve from one of your posts and still use it),helpful, sometimes humors and above all supportive of fellow members of this online community in times of trouble. With the character traits you have shown this community I can only believe you the right man for any position you would chose to pursue. It is my hope that this community does not lose one such as yourself.
    I wish you and your wife all the best in your pursuits where ever they take you.
    Thanks for your Help.
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Talked to Rick for close to an Hour last night thanks to Magic Jack... Yes, this is like a Family Forum... Rick will do WELL, this is a Temporary Down sizing. He will still be with us adding Advice and Inspiration.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I wanted to thank again Tom, Michael, Ken and Al for phone calls and posts. Also thank you John, Lawrence, Jason, jaroot, Doug, Floyd, Terry, Doc, Gary, Steve, Clint, Jerry, Capt. Bruce and WRW for your post. I appreciate the support!

The current update my wife and I are still hopeful for the co-manager job for Holiday independent retirement community. We have had a phone interview and then they flew us to Portland Or. for a face to face. We passed our written test for MS office and we are waiting for the final interview with the regional manager. We would have had the interview, but she took the week off! If we do get the job I will give the full details!

As forth to my sign shop well it over even if we don't get the job. We are now needing to use the fair fees money I saved for this years fairs. With the fairs if you can't come up with the fees you lose your space. Not just for that year, but until the next sign shop fails to pay. So that said, I am done! My wife has been to so many interviews and rejected so even keeping my website is soon going to be through.

Thank you again all my friends who called and posted for your support and encouragement. I hope next week we will know about the job. It is sad to give up a business I have had for so many years. But as I have posted California is no longer supporting any of the county fairs. So most likely this would have been my last year. All the bigger fairs that will make it have the chain sign makers.

Rick

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast