Thread: head wont go down

Default head wont go down

Hello has anyone had this problem i turn the crank handle to go down and it just clicks i turn it to go up its alright it just clicks going down but head wont move. so i opened the bottom and followed the instructions i thought maybe the head needs adjusting so following the instructions it says to check the tierod that connects the lead screws it is suppose to have a little play in it mine has no play and is real tight as far as trying to go side to side. So i'm stuck now and don't want to make things worse so i don't want to try anything else until i get help. i did email support but i just thought i would see if this problem is out there anywhere.

Thanks for the help

Did you raise the head all the way to the top? if that is the case then you need to locate the jacking screw on the side opposite the keypad side in the machine and there is a little hole drilled into it. Insert an allen wrench or something small and turn the jack screw by hand and then the crank should operate after a couple turns manually . When you raise the head of the machine you have to stay about an inch from the top to keep this from happening again.

Stephen

Someone just admitted not reading the manual..... Common first post but I see you have 31 posts... If you have not... Tips and Tricks is a good Read Too....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05652_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Did that the first five minutes I had the machine........................thought I broke it
    denny

Sorry.... My Bad...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

i did read everything in the begining when i bought it. so i was really careful not to raise it to far so i know thats not the problem that's why i started trying to trouble shoot the machine and i thought maybe the head is not level and in trouble shooting it says if the tierod doesn't have any play which mine doesn't to notify carvewright but i haven't heard back from them yet.

Could be the corner posts are not aligned. Loosen the top corner bolts to see if that frees it up. You may have to loosen a couple of the bottom bolts also. If that works re tighten all the bolts, starting with the bottom ones. Been a looong time since I had to do this, but this is the best I remember.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    i did read everything in the begining when i bought it. so i was really careful not to raise it to far so i know thats not the problem that's why i started trying to trouble shoot the machine and i thought maybe the head is not level and in trouble shooting it says if the tierod doesn't have any play which mine doesn't to notify carvewright but i haven't heard back from them yet.
    Call support tomorrow after 10 before noon.

Good to see you got the login worked out.
    Connie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

OK... Now that is a different animal....

First thing is un plug the machine and remove the bottom cover and blow the sawdust out of the two 45 degree gears that transfers the crank to the far side.

2nd, try to measure the distance between the belt and the head and see it the head is un level and jammed on the smooth rails. The head can become un level when the 45 degree gears skip and one side gets higher than the other. OR the Grease and Oil on the Smooth Rails has dried and is binding. I use Chain Lube on the Smooth Rails. You can use WD-40 but the Silicone can cause wood finishing problems like fish eyes if you get it on the wood.

To re level the head use a block of wood and disconect the the 45 deg to move one side only.

Clean and Lube the Jacking Screws too, if they fill with dust and the dust gets inside the nut threads it can bind too... I use chain lube with Molly on the jacking screw too.

Good Luck,

AL

well i've been working on it cleaned and lubed everything. what i noticed is that the screw on the right side it's suppose to thread through the two large nuts and when you crank the screw spins and up or down it goes well on the right side it seems that something is striped because it doesn't ride on the threads it will go up then the right side will drop slightly but the left side will keep going. so i moved it with my hand and i can move it up and down by hand so the threads must be shot any suggestions on what i do next.

thanks for the help