Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicating crown molding

Default Duplicating crown molding

I am restoring a large old house and need a 6 foot piece of crown molding that I can't find at the usual stores. I went to a local shop that does custom woodwork but they wouldn't make the tooling for the molding since it was such a small order. Would the carvewright be able to do this using the scanning probe?

It might be able to be done with the CW depending on the width and over all depth of the molding. the CW is limited to about 3/4" depth. So if the piece is that depth over all or if the molding can be broken down to multiple pieces it should be possible.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by rhmetz View Post
    I am restoring a large old house and need a 6 foot piece of crown molding that I can't find at the usual stores. I went to a local shop that does custom woodwork but they wouldn't make the tooling for the molding since it was such a small order. Would the carvewright be able to do this using the scanning probe?
    Yes you can do that with the scanning probe but, I would do it with the Wolfie's program, Just draw the end view and you can make any type moldings. NOTE; it takes the CW unit 8+ hours to carve an 8 foot lenght. Since it is a Crown type molding, I would run the top through the CW unit and use a router table with 90 degrees "V" bit for the back side. Have fun - The image is a Roman Ogee.

Use the Gray scale inage in the PE to make your MPW, PTN files. PM me for more info. BJB

Welcome to the CW forum - BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RO on Wolfies program.jpg   RO on Wolfies program.bmp  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Yes you can do that with the scanning probe but, I would do it with the Wolfie's program, Just draw the end view and you can make any type moldings. NOTE; it takes the CW unit 8+ hours to carve an 8 foot lenght. Since it is a Crown type molding, I would run the top through the CW unit and use a router table with 90 degrees "V" bit for the back side. Have fun - The image is a Roman Ogee.

Use the Gray scale inage in the PE to make your MPW, PTN files. PM me for more info. BJB

Welcome to the CW forum - BJB
    Wow how cool is that! Being able to draw your own crown molding. Very cool stuff! Everybody should learn how to do that.

"Go Wolfies".

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Malmstrom; 02-01-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    Wow how cool is that! Being able to draw your own crown molding. Very cool stuff! Everybody should learn how to do that.

"Go Wolfies".

Alan
    He may need another donation, His programs are out of this world. I'm not sure he is still on the WEB, I find his grayscales are the cleanest, You can do this on CoralDraw and other Phoshop programs. They work, but if it is not clean, you can see the rings on most of them. You can also control the Grayscale with ASPIRE a great program, but it is big bucks, It lets you adjust the gray image and download it to a BUMP and STL, it is kind of a program for a normal CAD unit. I am working on a unit I found on the Router forum. Ken just posted a read in a grayscale i posted a few days back

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

"Wolfie's Gradient Designer" seems to have vanished. If anyone knows of a place it can be found, I'd love to check it out.

Have you tried playing with sweep?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture eight 8.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	60826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture eight 10.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	60827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture eight panel 1.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	60828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture eight seven 8 pu.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	60829All though it might be expensive for six feet.
    thanks so much!
    karl

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post
    "Wolfie's Gradient Designer" seems to have vanished. If anyone knows of a place it can be found, I'd love to check it out.
    PM me with an e-mail I can send you a copy. and aPDF on how I use that program. BJB Welcome to the Forum.

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

Thanks for the tip, gashawk. I played with it a little, and it's great at what it does. The question is - is this worth $200 to me?

Please - don't take anything I'm about to say the wrong way, either you or anyone at LHR. Their software has its upsides. It's quite capable. I could envision doing lots of good things with it. I give them lots of credit for at least making an attempt at a Mac version, however flawed it may be. Also, LHR has every right to structure their sales any way they like - I certainly don't begrudge them that.

All that said, however, designer is really not all that great in the grand scheme of things. I'll outgrow it quickly. Also, it lacks quite a bit of spit and polish. Add to that the shameless attempts at vendor-lock-in, and charging extra for functions that are standard equipment in any mainstream modeling package, and I'm not highly motivated to use it for much. I can be far more productive with Adobe Creative Suite, using designer only as a means of translating displacement maps and vector paths into MPC files.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post
    Thanks for the tip, gashawk. I played with it a little, and it's great at what it does. The question is - is this worth $200 to me?

Please - don't take anything I'm about to say the wrong way, either you or anyone at LHR. Their software has its upsides. It's quite capable. I could envision doing lots of good things with it. I give them lots of credit for at least making an attempt at a Mac version, however flawed it may be. Also, LHR has every right to structure their sales any way they like - I certainly don't begrudge them that.

All that said, however, designer is really not all that great in the grand scheme of things. I'll outgrow it quickly. Also, it lacks quite a bit of spit and polish. Add to that the shameless attempts at vendor-lock-in, and charging extra for functions that are standard equipment in any mainstream modeling package, and I'm not highly motivated to use it for much. I can be far more productive with Adobe Creative Suite, using designer only as a means of translating displacement maps and vector paths into MPC files.
    I resemble that remark, I have just about outgrown my compucarve after just the last 6 months. Just need the money to upgrade LOL like that will happen soon. It has been fun for what the system can do and my friends and relatives are Wowed by the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast