Thread: How do you stabilize wood flaws

Default How do you stabilize wood flaws

I have these two pieces of walnut that has raw edges and several soft spots. I would like to leave them in the piece but would like to stabilize them in some way. I was thinking of just watering down some Elmers Glue and painting the area with multi coats. But what would it do to the surrounding wood? Appreciate any thoughts you might have....Attachment 50975Attachment 50976

I would use whatever clear coat you plan on using when your done working with it.

This is what I've been using successfully for years

Minwax High Performance Wood Hardener is a quick-drying liquid formulated to strengthen and reinforce decayed or rotting wood. Minwax High Performance Wood Hardener is made up of solvents that carry resin deep into the pores of the wood where they evaporate and leave behind hardened resin resulting in hardened wood. - Recommended uses: windowsills, doors, woodwork, floors, decks, furniture, Raw Wood - Application tool: disposable bristle brush - Cleanup: acetone - Dry time: 2.4 hours, then fill if needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minwax Wood Hardener 1a.png  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 01-31-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added Photo
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Thanks Ken.... I have to go into town today so will pick up the wood hardener and try it. Sounds like it is just the ticket for the slabs. I have 5 or 6 pieces, about 5 feet long, and I'm sure I will be running into this problem on all of them. Now just have to decide what I want to carve on them.

Dave... between the hardner and the top coats I'm sure I'll come out with useable pieces to carve.

Walnut is stable as long as it stays dry. This stump carving is preCarveWright. I must have cut the stump 20 years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stump.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	50992
    thanks so much!
    karl

Sharon,
    I have had great luck with 2 part clear epoxy to fill voids and planer chip outs in Black walnut. On the voids if they go clear through put masking tape over the smaller hole and lay it tape side down and fill with epoxy. For chip outs just mix small amounts to fill the chips. Being clear the grain still shows through and I have chips that I know are there and I can't find them after sanded and finished.