Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig Prototype II

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have not played with the jig for awhile. I do have some ideas for improvements but no time now. Even though all of the wooden parts are made by the Carvewright, there are other metal parts like springs and bearings. If anyone is interested in building or improving my last prototype, I will happily post the mpcs. Be warned, however, it is no where near a bug free project yet.
    I definitely would like to give it a go, please do post them

Thanks
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Please post the mpc if you can.

Capt Barry

I will give the files a once over and then post them this weekend.

Thanks much.

Capt Barry

Thanks I would love to look at it.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Default Rotary jig prototype II files

Here are 8 of 12 mpc files for the rotary jig.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-13-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Default Rotary jig prototype II files

Here are the last 4.

It has been awhile now and I forget some of the changes I was going to make. There was one problem with the right hand bearing support (axle plate). It was made of 1/4" thick oak and housed a bearing. The 1/4" was too thick and put the edge of the dowel too far from the bit clearance slot in the slider. In the case where the carve depth exceeds 1/2", the machine bobs the bit into the clearance slot looking for the Carvewright's sliding plate and scrapes on the back of the axle plate. The axle plate needs to be thinner. I was going to make a brass plate with just a protruding shaft and put the bearing in the end of the dowel.

I am sure there will be other improvements to be made. It is a challenging project . There are no instructions, just these files to play with!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rot1.JPG   rot2.JPG   rot3.JPG   rot4.JPG  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-13-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added pictures

Thanks very much for the MPC files. I have look at your earlier pictures, are the any pictures I could use to help assemble the jig.
    Thanks again,
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

This looks wonderful but I am a liitle lost. What or how is the material turning I can't seem to figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    This looks wonderful but I am a liitle lost. What or how is the material turning I can't seem to figure this out?
    The jig is held in the machine above the sandpaper belts. A rail with sandpaper on top in the left of the jig (see the first picture) is compressed between the dowel and the sandpaper belt by a spring. Besides driving the dowel, the rail rolls the brass tracking sensor and also actuates the rear roller lifter.

I am sorry that I have not provided a more detailed explaination of how it all works but these are just my lastest prototype parts. I am providing these files for those few members who have followed and want to experiment with the rotary jig idea. The jig at this stage is by no means a finished "project" for all to build.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast