Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig Prototype II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotary Jig Prototype II

For anyone who is interested, I am still working on my concept of a rotary jig. I have built a second prototype which has some improvements. I first one is that the measurement procedure is now simpler. The jig is in the rear position for the dowel measurement and is pulled forward after the natural pause to install the bit. This required a major change in the design of the axle slides to include a slot for the bit "bob". Also, a lever was added to release the pressure on the dowel so that initial setup adjustments (rotate dowel, slide driver board, adjust height) are easier to make before and after the jig is clamped down in the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rot1.JPG   rot2.JPG   rot3.JPG   rot4.JPG  

As my first test of the jig I thought I would make a dowel out of a 2 by 2 sawed into an octagonal cross section. I used a hole saw to round the end to 2" used the 3/8" jointing bit to plane with 1/4" wide passes. As you can see, it can be done. It took a boring hour to do. I do not think that one even has to do this. A driver wheel and a rough sawn (8 or 16 sided) dowel could just be carved without having to make it round.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dowel1.JPG   dowel2.JPG   dowel3.JPG  

Dan, this looks amazing and i am in aw of your engineering talent. Great to see such great minds out here pushing the machine to its potential. Also not to take anything away from Ed Baker it is wonderful that the idea was conceived and can only excel from there.

Stephen

4. Default

So it looks like with your prototype there are choices as to dowel sizes? What is the largest that it can carve?

I recently started turning pens, and coincidentaly, recently buillt a rotary axis for my small desktop cnc, inspired by the first rotary jig. I have machined a couple of pen barrells with engravings. I take them to withing about .050 ", then finish on the lathe. I have done v-carving for inlays and relief carvings. You just have to choose your models carefully because they are so small.
    Morton

6. Default

Morton, do you have any pics? Be great to see them.

Excellent Jig.. And Dust collection...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Rotary jig prototype II files

Here are 8 of 12 mpc files for the rotary jig.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-13-2012 at 03:20 PM.

We,re not breathing down your neck yet, just kidding !! Thanks in advance for what you are trying to do for us all.

Capt Barry

Thanks Sallen.

I have not tried yet, but it should do 4.5" diameter. Maybe more if it was really important and the jig is stripped down.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast