Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig Prototype II

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Hello,
    I watched your video and see that yours setups totally different than the original.
    That was the exercise! Make a jig that stays in the machine and directly measures the dowel as well as being adjustable for many dowel sizes.

I do not know of anyone who has made this prototype and had it working yet. I know Russel, Clint, and some others have been working on it. It does work quite well but it is a fairly complicated design and this is mainly to do with "tricking" the machine into thinking it is measuring a board when it is measuring the dowel. (To me, that was the main challenge.)

Changes in the firmware may be coming soon which will make a simpler design possible. If you have not already started this project, I would now recommend against building it. I do not want you to waste your time on a Mark 1 experiment when a simpler Mark 2 may be just around the corner.
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-24-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: sp

3. Default

Hello What changes in firmware(will it be a diferent jig) or something that they will add to Carvewright Machine? Thanks Bert

Quote Originally Posted by papawbummie View Post
    Hello What changes in firmware(will it be a diferent jig) or something that they will add to Carvewright Machine? Thanks Bert
    I cannot say. There are planned changes in the firmware which could make a simpler and more versatile jig possible. We may, for example, be able to key in the dowel dimensions instead of having to measure them. Different jig and sled designs may be possible. Sorry, but I really have no details.

I have heard that changes are coming and, for those who plan on keeping up with the current software, it would probably be better to wait a month or two before designing or building rotary jigs and fancy sleds.

5. Default

Thanks for the info Bert

To rationalize my situation, I can't afford the $200 to upgrade the software and the Prototype II is not that expensive to build. However, that change in the soft ware might make the investment more appealing. Like the 2D and 3D add-ons were needed.
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Won't let me download the mpc files.... weird...

Wouldn't a rubber wheel work for driving or turning the stock in the jig instead or the sliding board with the sandpaper on top of it?

The sliding board does a few things. It rides on the sandpaper, turns the dowel, rolls the brass roller, and actuates the roller lifter.

and does it compensate for the 3.5 in. on each end of the board? I've never seen one but have wondered how they compensate for that.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast