Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Weekend Project

Default Fun Weekend Project

This looks like something we could easily do with the CW. Not sure I'll have time to get it done this weekend, but as long as we keep the starting cube at 2" or less, I think we can make the fixed and free floating cubes. I'm sure someone else will beat me to it, but as I get the jig & mpc's designed, I'll post here.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn...lling-Project/
    Doug Fletcher

http://youtu.be/TfV_APBk16Q Check this video from Steve Marin
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Ok, this will be interesting to see done on the CW......
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Just curious, why 2" or less?

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    This looks like something we could easily do with the CW. Not sure I'll have time to get it done this weekend, but as long as we keep the starting cube at 2" or less, I think we can make the fixed and free floating cubes. I'm sure someone else will beat me to it, but as I get the jig & mpc's designed, I'll post here.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn...lling-Project/
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

The CW can do it easy enough. But, It's really easy with a forstner bit, and my grandson (7 mo's old) loves them.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1260026.JPG   P1260027.JPG  
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    Just curious, why 2" or less?
    The CW is limited to 1" depth on cutout/drill operations. If you wanted to do hollow cube in a cube in a cube, you have to be able to go all the way thru half the thickness. This is assuming you want to do the entire thing on the cw. If you want to use other tools as well, the 2" wouldnt apply. If I am mistaken on this, please let me know.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Doug Fletcher

The nice thing about using the CW is that you would not have the tell tale drill marks on the inside cube(s). One could also add carving embellishments. Is someone going to give it a try?

I am definitely going to try the "hollow free cubes", but not sure I will get to it this weekend. I assume the number of cubes gets determined by the diameter of the hole for each interior cube. I haven't tried the math yet, but I'm betting bergerud could whip it out in no time.
    Doug Fletcher

Since we only have 1" depth drilling holes, the smallest the inside cube could be is the size of the outside cube minus 2". So lets say we make the outside cube 3" and the inside cube 1". This would require drilling a 1" deep, 1.414" diameter hole in each face. (The hole diameter is the square root of 2 times the cube side because the diagonal of a square face is the diameter of the circle.) The middle cube is between the small cube and the large one. Lets say we make it 1.75". It would require a 1.75*1.414=2.475" hole to a depth of (3-1.75)/2=0.625".

Now these are "ideal" calculations which would completely drill out the cubes. We want to stop a little shy of these depths so that the cubes have "tabs" and so that they are left trapped inside. If they are completely drilled out, they will fall out of the holes. Some experimentation is required. Decide how thick you want the "tabs" and decrease the hole depth to get them. (I guess you could also decrease the diameters to get the them.)

I have not done any of this so, until someone does, it is just theory! I think it might be interesting to carve a sphere in the cube. Think about that.
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.

I could not help but to play with the sphere in a cube. Here is my first pass at the problem. I have no idea how it will carve; I may try to carve it later today. There are no "tabs". The sphere could drop in with the last carve. If this does work, one could also drill another cube in the sphere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sphere in cube.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast