Thread: New Toy

Default New Toy

Well I've added a new toy for the wood shop. Picked up a Shark Plus HD from Rockler. I've made 2 carvings with it so far and screwed them both up, just a little bit of a learning curve here. So far I haven't noticed any difference in quility of the carvings, but I have a lot more control over what the machine does.

At first I though about getting rid of the Carvewright but I've now decided to keep both.

The Carvewright is limited in what it can do, but is very quick to setup a project and run it.

The Shark on the other hand is more difficult to setup, you have to program in toolpaths for every bit you use. It can handle wider projects (26") and can do longer but with the ease of a Carvewright. You have more control over the carve speed of cut, RPM of the bit depth of pass and what bit you want to use. And you can carve a wider varity of materials to include soft metals.

GOOD Luck with your new Shark and with the low Resale Value of the CW, you are better to keep them both as a backup and Multi tasking ability... Doing 3 signs at a time.... PRO-Duction....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

3. Default

Sounds like a shop full of fun to me.

4. Default

From what I've seen of the cnc shark it is very slow to cut raster patterns. Im under the impression that it mostly for cutting vector paths. The Carvewright is very fast going back and forth on rasters and I don't think you could get the shark to do that. Plus it's 3 times the price. I like the Carvewright.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    From what I've seen of the cnc shark it is very slow to cut raster patterns. Im under the impression that it mostly for cutting vector paths. The Carvewright is very fast going back and forth on rasters and I don't think you could get the shark to do that. Plus it's 3 times the price. I like the Carvewright.

Alan

Speed is definitely a benefit of the servo motor vs. the stepper motor. The CarveWright uses a servo motor and the Shark uses a stepper motor. Servos are much faster and generally only found in machines over $10,000. The servo is not only faster with raster, but also with vector.

Another feature of the Servo Motor is it's "intelligent feedback", which is why with the CW you get the messages or error codes on the LCD panel. Where as the stepper motor, from what I understand, just keeps blindly going and doesn't know that it is off-track. It is open-loop with no feed back. This feedback on the CarveWright servo motor not only assists in directing you to the source of your issue, it generally protects your project and/or expensive parts of the machine from damage. This is one feature that I think many customers do not realize and appreciate as a benefit.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

6. Default

I'm Ordered a Carvewright (version c) Normally, I will receive it next week, Cant wait to see the machine at run.
    I'm Glad to see the carvewright as a servo motor (more precise and more fast than stepper motor), Is that the servo motor are also the first versions (a and B)?
    Norbert

7. Default

Yes Norbert ....

Norbert, 25 posts since 2008 and just getting a machine.... I had to look and see what you posted... The Answer is you are a Pattern Person.... and a very Good One at that..... And part of the Big Pattern Push going on in the CW World... Good for YOU and GOOD for US....

Some homework before you get your machine... Read the Tips and Tricks on the LHR Site.... Great Stuff...

You will have a BLAST with your new machine.... And be sure to get a Dust Collector and a Hood like the Ringneck version... A Clean Machine is a Happy Machine....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com