Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black letters on white board

Could a person not stain and topcoat (laquer, poly whatever) first, carve, then spray the letters...........effectively wiping off the overspray much like the sanding sealer method? Or would the thin layer of topcoat, clog/accumulate on the bit?

If I am staining then I use Latex and paint the V Text and over paint the letter. When dry, Sand off the excess. Stain over the letters and use a Air Gun to blow out the excess stain from the letters while wearing a Filter. Same with the Spar Poly, blow out the letters if I get too much. Seldom do I paint White letters when Staining.

That first 2007 Bear Clock was coated with Sanding Sealer after cutting the letters then Spray Paint of the letters then sanded again to remove the over spray. Previous I had the thin spray paint wick up the grain on each side of the letters.... When I switched to Latex Paint no more wicking. The Sanding Sealer made the Stain lighter and I stopped using the Sanding Sealer.

The Last Picture shows touch up of the Red. This shows the effect of the Stain on the Brightness of the Red. I re stained this before delivery to make the Red match.

I no longer use the Thickness Sander to remove the Over paint as it plugs up the paper. I use worn Orbital Sander paper that I save for this removal of paint.

I was watching a new "This Old House" where they were running old floor boards through a double drum thickness sander. Someone opened the Cover showing the 2 drums and the center of the paper was packed with paint, finish or something.... Norm ran the boards and standing at the Out feed side, the camera just caught the BLUE BILLOWING SMOKE.... I laughed.... Not the Normal NORM...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07926_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have used a different method, let me say that I am a hobbyist not a pro sign person. Most of my centerline text is in a carved region, could not use shelf paper method. After painting the background or using sanding sealer, I would sprinkle, dry, water soluble, tempera paint in to the text, wipe off excess with a dry foam brush, then brush with another foam brush that was wet, used paper towel to soak excess water, sometimes I do it twice. After the water dried in text I spray with clear.

Before the CW when using a router with V bit, I just spray with a flat or semi, brush on a craft paint, and let dry for about 5 minutes. Then I run through the drum sander lightly until the paint on the top is gone and blow out the dust. Not sure what my approach will be on carvings now.

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    Before the CW when using a router with V bit, I just spray with a flat or semi, brush on a craft paint, and let dry for about 5 minutes. Then I run through the drum sander lightly until the paint on the top is gone and blow out the dust. Not sure what my approach will be on carvings now.
    When you say you spray with a flat or semi are you talking about the paint or a varnish being used to seal the surrounding pores from absorbing the craft paint?

As far as painting carved areas this I generally do my staining work first and then paint, wiping away any unwanted paint.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    When you say you spray with a flat or semi are you talking about the paint or a varnish being used to seal the surrounding pores from absorbing the craft paint?

As far as painting carved areas this I generally do my staining work first and then paint, wiping away any unwanted paint.
    I meant or craft paint. No, not a sealer but putting paint in the grooves cut with the V bit. I just spray it down in the grooves and let it absorb, then sand off the layer on top of the wood. Usually I'm doing that on red cedar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12