Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinewood Derby Car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pinewood Derby Car

Does anybody have a pattern for carving out a pinewood derby car? I'd like to carve one for my grandsons.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

2. Default

Here is one someone posted on the forum some time back. If anything it is a good starting point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pine derby car.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	50609
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gregsolano; 01-21-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added picture

Here are the dimensions that I found online.
    • The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
    • The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
    • The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
    • The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the track.

Thanks! I thought I seen something here but I couldn't find it. It is definitely a start.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    Does anybody have a pattern for carving out a pinewood derby car? I'd like to carve one for my grandsons.
    I could make one for you if you post the profile of the side and the top. Or if you have some drawings.

I have thought about making cars for my son and daughter who are in AWANA but they are not having a derby this year.

Alan

I really don't have any ideas. I did carve one by hand once that looked more like a Le Mans car with the fenders and all but don't even have a clue on how to do it with the CW. I guess a two sided carve with the wheel recess on one side and the top of the car on the other but I don't have enough skill with 3d software to even start.

Jaroot, if you do not mind here are a couple of pointers for the car to make it fast.
    1) place the nails in a drill, remove any burs under the head, sand the nail where the wheel runs with 600 to 1000 grit to give it a smooth finish, use graphite for lub.
    2) remove any burs on the plastic wheel where the nail head goes, and the back side where it may touch the wood body
    3) place the wheel in a drill, sand the flat part of the wheel with 100 grit to rough it up some, and place a slight angle on the flat part from inside towards the body to the outside. This gives less wheel touching the track, less friction, and forces the wheels to run against the nail head and not the car body.
    4) get the car to the max weight allowed, placing 1/3 the weight right behind the front axle grove, and the rest right behind the rear axle. This gives the car a kick when it comes off the incline and goes on the level track. Make sure you center the weight on the under side of the body.
    5) try to get the axles for all 4 wheel level, no rocking when placed on a flat surface, and glue the axles in place.
    6) fenders should not be lower than the bottom of the car
    7) carving the car is for ascetic's only a plain wedge shape is just as good. Have no uprights or flats like seats, person etc to cause air drag.

and Last of all watch your car others do tamper with the wheels. The wheels are the most important part of the car and how smooth they turn.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Hi Eddie!

Thanks for the tips. I was aware of most of those things from when my boys were that age. We also trimmed the wheels down so they were basically thick disks.

Found that the best thing was to get third place in the pack as that was as good as you could do and not have to spend and entire day at the district derby.

The Grandsons don't live in the same state as me so I'll only get to send the body to them and let them and their dads finish it up.

The rules and how to build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beginner-designs.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Here's a few CW Forum Threads with a little additional info on Pinewood Derby Cars
    Pinewood derby car Soap box derby time! Lincoln Cent Coin Bank
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast