Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cut did not match measurements

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Am I missing something here? If Sail carved a 6 X 9 rectangle with the 3/16 carving bit, he should get a 6 3/16 X 9 3/16 rectangle because the center of the carving bit follows the rectangle. Is that not what happened here?
    Yup. Even shows in Designer. I learned this the hard way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carve region.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	50606

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    We have not seen the MPC as yet. However, I think he still had the 1/16 carving bit assigned and substituted the 3/16 carving bit. As a side note, on a carve region, the edge of the bit is the determining factor rather than the center. This was a carve region not a cut path nor vector pocket.
    We are due to talk Sunday, so we'll go from there.
    AskBud
    It took a while but I think I have attached the MPC file for one of the 4 jigs. I still intend to talk with AskBud prior to addressing solutions.
    Sail
    Attached Files Attached Files

Zoom in closely at a corner of your rectangle, and you will see the problem. The carving bit will center on the drawn rectangle, so the resulting carved rectangle will be bigger due to the diameter of the bit. The deeper the carve, the bigger it will be ON TOP because the bit is tapered.

You have already been given one solution:
    - Use two rectangles.
    - Make the carved rectangle slightly smaller than the desired 6 x 9.
    - Select the 1/8" cutting bit for the second rectangle, exactly 6 x 9. Select an offset equal to 1/2 the diameter of the bit, or .063".
    - Add drilled holes on the corner to eliminate the rounded corners.
    - Add a drilled-through hole to pop the corian out.

Bud this seem like a nice thing to do but why are you directing new users all the time to your PM's? this is a group fourm and intended for all of us to help solve issues for the new members.

Sail, so you know you are not required to post your MPC on this forum or required to contact any members in PM's or phone to solve simple issues, keeping it on the fourm will help all of us learn.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.

I looked at your mpc. I know you stated you were using the 3/16 carving bit, but under board properties, the software is set up to use the 1/16 carving bit. I don't think changing the bit at the machine automatically adjusts your toolpath geometry.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Bud this seem like a nice thing to do but why are you directing new users all the time to your PM's? this is a group fourm and intended for all of us to help solve issues for the new members.

Sail, so you know you are not required to post your MPC on this forum or required to contact any members in PM's or phone to solve simple issues, keeping it on the fourm will help all of us learn.
    Liquid,

Of course I know I am not required to contact any member by phone or otherwise. I can appreciate the purpose of the forum and am willing to post results of pertinent information. Bud's generous offer was to help resolve several issues that have little bearing on my original question. Additionally, Bud has expressed a greater degree of patience to assist me through my minor dilemma. I appreciate and applaud his efforts.

It is the sort of attitude that Bud has shown that urges me to stick with the forum and, once I have learned enough to be of value beyond asking questions, I am more willing to take the time to answer the questions posed by others.

Thank you for your concern regarding the integrity and purpose of the forum. I will try to honor that once I feel competent to do so.

Sail

Quote Originally Posted by sail View Post
    It took a while but I think I have attached the MPC file for one of the 4 jigs. I still intend to talk with AskBud prior to addressing solutions.
    Sail
    After a brief conversation with Bud, I have found solutions to the original problems I was having in making my lithopane jigs.

My primary error was the bit setting under "edit..board setting...pattern bit was still set for 1/8 inch carving bit while I was using my 3/16 bull nose. Since the machine follows the center of the bit, it made the pocket too large. Changing the bit pattern setting corrected that problem.

After that I wanted to eliminate the curve at the bottom of the cliff edge cut. To accomplish that, I created another rectangle inside the first. I reduced the size by the width of the bit and changed the bit to 1/8 carving bit. I also changed the program by clicking " select bit" and clicking on 1/8 carving bit.

Next, I notices that the 1/4 inch corian was sitting a fraction of an inch proud even though my depth setting was 1/4 inch. No idea why that happened but I adjusted depth to 0.255. Another problem solved.

I then made sure that no area of the caving was highlighted. I then clicked on the drill icon and clicked on one corner. I entered a diameter of 1/2 inch and a depth of 0.255. I then clicked Layout tab, scrolled to "mirror" and clicked "mirror all" Now all four corners have a void rather than a rounded edge so the corian will fit.

Last I clicked drill icon again and added a 1 inch hole drilled through. This hole is not on center but off to one side so when you push to release the corian from the jig, you don't have all four edges resisting.

Another beautiful thing is that I can rename and copy what I have done, then just change the dimensions for any size jig I want and with proper planning, the "push hole" will be in the correct position should I decide to cut another jig on the reverse side of this piece of medium density fiber board.

I want to add that if AskBud had not offered to help me via phone, it would have taken me MUCH longer to get to this point by use of the forum alone. So I want to publicly thank Bud for his generous gift of time and knowledge. I'll be back. But probably not with this same problem.

Thanks Bud !

Sail

Glad you where to select the right bits, So you know I think Buds help is fantastic but i am concerned that a Senior member would redirect information in PM at the intervals Bud is using.
    and naturaly this could lead to the other members not responding and damage the forum we have all had a part of making over the years including Bud.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.

I should have included the Tips and Tricks link for jigs, carrier boards, sleds and rails which are other ways to avoid this problem.

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads...icks_Apr08.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123