Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cut did not match measurements

Default cut did not match measurements

Hi,
    Seems like a simple request for the machine. Cut out a 6 X 9 X 1/4 space in medium density fiber board to accommodate a piece of Corian thereby making a jig. Numbers entered were correct. As shown on the carvewright machine display, also correct. But the end result was
    6 1/8 X 9 1/8 X just 1/64 shy of my 1/4 inch input. This rendered the MDB useless.

The board is 18 X 12 1/4 X 3/4 so sizing image to board size is not the issue.

I entered zero draft and zero feather. Neither is apparent in the final cut.

The only error that I can think of was the bit size entered. I used the 3/16 inch carving bit. That information was entered into the machine prior to cutting as always. Could it be possible that requesting medium quality on the cut required the tapered carving bit ? Might that have caused the machine to cut that slightly larger dimension ?

I'm ready to cut 4 or 5 jigs but now think I'll be throwing away lots of MDB to get it right. I can't find any instructions that suggest entering anything but the actual measurements desired so why is the cut out larger?

So who goes in for repair ? Me or the machine ?

Default Pattern Bit setting

Quote Originally Posted by sail View Post
    Hi,
    Seems like a simple request for the machine. Cut out a 6 X 9 X 1/4 space in medium density fiber board to accommodate a piece of Corian thereby making a jig. Numbers entered were correct. As shown on the carvewright machine display, also correct. But the end result was
    6 1/8 X 9 1/8 X just 1/64 shy of my 1/4 inch input. This rendered the MDB useless.

The board is 18 X 12 1/4 X 3/4 so sizing image to board size is not the issue.

I entered zero draft and zero feather. Neither is apparent in the final cut.

The only error that I can think of was the bit size entered. I used the 3/16 inch carving bit. That information was entered into the machine prior to cutting as always. Could it be possible that requesting medium quality on the cut required the tapered carving bit ? Might that have caused the machine to cut that slightly larger dimension ?

I'm ready to cut 4 or 5 jigs but now think I'll be throwing away lots of MDB to get it right. I can't find any instructions that suggest entering anything but the actual measurements desired so why is the cut out larger?

So who goes in for repair ? Me or the machine ?
    Attach your MPC.

My bet is that you failed to change your pattern bit setting to the 3/16 bit. See attachedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Pattern bit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	50590
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 01-21-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: My bet
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

welcome..

The CW will cut exactly what you need but you will need to program the right information and make tests... I use " keep the same" and "place on corner"

Could it be possible that requesting medium quality on the cut required the tapered carving bit ? Might that have caused the machine to cut that slightly larger dimension ?
    Not the setting but the tapered bit will add gerth so try to reduce your test pocket....

This rendered the MDB useless
    Is this a oxymoron when talking about MDF ?
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-21-2012 at 01:24 PM.

And the carving bits do have a taper to them, you need to take that in to consideration when designing your mpc. with a straight bit, you need to just make sure you are cutting on the right side of the line (using the inset option when selecting your bit on the mpc). The inset can be set to plus or minus 1/2 the diameter of the bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inset.png  
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    And the carving bits do have a taper to them, you need to take that in to consideration when designing your mpc. with a straight bit, you need to just make sure you are cutting on the right side of the line (using the inset option when selecting your bit on the mpc). The inset can be set to plus or minus 1/2 the diameter of the bit
    So to make sure I understand, given the desired result of true cliff cut and precise dimension, I should switch to my cutting bit rather than carving. In addition, I must use the inset option. Should the inset option be at zero for an exact dimension result or should I assume that at "zero" the center of the bit will cut the line thereby making the cut too large?

Choose bit icon is not active. I went back to board settings where pattern bit may be chosen. Switched back and forth from 3/16 to 1/16 while checking "select bit" option. Can't seem to get it light up.

Maybe have to delete a jig files and remake them with proper bit, inset options.

Default Slow down

So to make sure I understand, given the desired result of true cliff cut and precise dimension, I should switch to my cutting bit rather than carving. In addition, I must use the inset option. Should the inset option be at zero for an exact dimension result or should I assume that at "zero" the center of the bit will cut the line thereby making the cut too large?

Choose bit icon is not active. I went back to board settings where pattern bit may be chosen. Switched back and forth from 3/16 to 1/16 while checking "select bit" option. Can't seem to get it light up.

Maybe have to delete a jig files and remake them with proper bit, inset options.
    Slow down!
    You are OK! We still need to see your MPC. However, I can guess that you are trying to make a carve region with the carving bit.
    I don't think you are trying to cut all the way through the board (which is what some folks are thinking).

You will not see the bit selection icon activate on a raster carve, as it is set as shown in my previous post.
    I'll send you another private message in a minute.
    If you turn on your grid lines, you will see what the machine is going to carve.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

I just did this for a current project. Take a look at the mpc. The "recess" rectangle is carved and slightly undersized. The "sides" rectangle is the exact dimensions desired. Select it and click on the bit to see that I used an offset equal to half the diameter of the bit. This will produce straight sides, but the corners are rounded - no way to eliminate that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6304759.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	940.1 KB 
ID:	50593
    Attached Files Attached Files

RIGHT ! it's really just to make a 1/4 inch deep pocket of various lengths and widths to insert a 1/4 inch piece of corian in order to hold the corian stable for a finer cut. Just as seen at the bottom of this tips and tricks page http://www.carvewright.com/downloads...icks_Jan09.pdf

So the size of the cut out can also be controlled via the grid line icon. Will check that out.

BTW if the depth is off by a fraction of an inch, the sled would still be usable. On your machine's keypad, before loading a project, select (0) Options, (5) Jog Touch, and (Enter) to turn Jog Touch on. When you run your project and are prompted, Jog Touch onto the surface of the Corian.

RIGHT ! it's really just to make a 1/4 inch deep pocket of various lengths and widths to insert a 1/4 inch piece of corian in order to hold the corian stable for a finer cut. Just as seen at the bottom of this tips and tricks page http://www.carvewright.com/downloads...icks_Jan09.pdf

So the size of the cut out can also be controlled via the grid line icon. Will check that out.
    The grid lines do not control what happens, overall, They just assist you in seeing where the actual cuts and carves are going to be made.

You may also use "snap to grid' to assure placement of some items (as needed). However, the proper assignment of bits and parameters is the key.
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast