Thread: How to insert an imported jpeg into a carve region

Default How to insert an imported jpeg into a carve region

Hi All,
    I have had my CW for about 6 months and have had a ball with it. I have learned a ton from scanning the forum and very much appreciate all the great patterns and projects folks have shared. I hope to return the favor when I get a little more proficient. I have run into an issue that I have not been able to find a previous answer for and hope someone can help.

I would like to make some coasters for my company's 50th anniversary that would include our 50th anniversary logo on the coaster inside a recess to help hold the cup. I designed a 4.5" diameter coaster with a 3.5" dia. recess about 0.15" deep. So far so good. My problem starts from here. I imported a jpeg of the 50th logo and I seem to be unable to imbed it into the carved region without it (or part of it) sticking up in the carved recess. I have tried both normal and inverted versions and have played with both the depth of the logo and the height of the logo. Is there a way to have the CW simply carve the logo into the recess area without anything extending upward??

Any help would be greatly apprciated.....Thank you
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Try to use the Clip Carving and merge functions.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Just checked - place your pattern in the Carve Region, and make it "Merge Additive".

That'll do it.

Also play with the depth and height of the pattern - it will be different than the depth of your Carve Region, so it may not look the way you want it to until you mess with it.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I will give that a shot...thank you to all who gave direction. I will post the mpc and pattern if I continue to have issues. I will post it if it works too...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I have played with it some, but still have it raised in the recess area. I will try to include the mpc. hopefully, it will load... I guess CAD is not my strong suit
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Bigtyme
    Is this what you wanted? you can play with the depth a little to get it where you want.Rowetrial1.mpc

Thank you very much, signman. I think that will work. really appreciate the help.
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com