Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/8" Carving Bit

Default 1/8" Carving Bit

Mine broke Has anyone found a good substitute bit that would work in place of this bit. I have tried some 1/8 router bits but they don't have the cutting length to do cut-outs in 3/4" thick material. I also tried 1/4" router bit but its to wide and it cuts through the tabs that the 1/8" bit would leave.

Just looking for options since I tried to get one from CW and they don't have any and need to get a project done.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: 1/8" Carving Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron B
    Mine broke Just looking for options since I tried to get one from CW and they don't have any and need to get a project done.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Aaron ... I'm in the same boat. Mine broke when I was doing a cut out also. I ordered two 1/16" carving and two 1'8" straight cutting bits this past week. I was told the 1/16" were out of stock, but the 1/8" would be shipping right away. I've also looked around for replacements elsewhere and haven't found any. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find any.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_5511_441.jpg  
    Using Version 1.125

I called this morning and ordered one but they were out of stock and got the ol "be here any day now" routine. I know its not there fault but it stinks when you are on a deadline and don't have any other options. From your picture it looks about like mine, maybe they all break in that same spot.

Which render quality were you using Ron?

For doing cut outs render quality doesn't matter if I am understanding what you mean. Cut Out is hard coded in, once you tell the software to do cut-out it automatically selects the 1/8" cutting bit and the depth of each cut is automatically programmed.

I wish I could make it do lighter cuts and I know that would take longer but better than breaking bits all the time.

Just looking at that bit, its going to break for all us alot. That's why the 1/16" carving bit is tappered to eliminate (reduce) that pivot point. But if you taper the Cutting bit then you can't get a straight side. Hopefully CW will come up with a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by HandTurnedMaple
    Just looking at that bit, its going to break for all us alot. That's why the 1/16" carving bit is tappered to eliminate (reduce) that pivot point. But if you taper the Cutting bit then you can't get a straight side. Hopefully CW will come up with a solution.
    I think lighter cuts would be a way for them to help us in not breaking as many, or if they know they are going to break, keep them in STOCK! Okay I am done ranting now.

Aaron
    Your welcome to come down to my house if theres something I can help you finish.
    I've been trying to tell everyone not to use that 1/8" bit for cutting 3/4" material, that thin of carbide just won't cut it.
    Most of the woodworking catalogs I have , the 1/8' bits only cut 1/2".
    You can see the bit flex as you watch it trying to cut.
    Maybe in soft material it would be ok.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I think at $29.95 each ... it must be some of that "planned obsolesence" you see every now and then. Just kidding, but I'd like to see a bit that could stand up to the task.
    Using Version 1.125

I would think it would be easy for them to change the depth of cut in the software. I would much rather the bit take shallow cuts even if it takes longer.

CW peeps, would that be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman
    Aaron
    Your welcome to come down to my house if theres something I can help you finish.
    I've been trying to tell everyone not to use that 1/8" bit for cutting 3/4" material, that thin of carbide just won't cut it.
    Most of the woodworking catalogs I have , the 1/8' bits only cut 1/2".
    You can see the bit flex as you watch it trying to cut.
    Maybe in soft material it would be ok.
    I really appreciate the offer but I did get done before the bit broke will be good enough for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast