Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Legs

Default Table Legs

Can you carve table legs on the CW? I was thinking about it, since i don't have a lathe, wondered if its possible to carve 1/2 the round profile on one side and then the same thing on the other. Didn't know if I could just start with a thick blank 2x2 or something and have it carve away at it.

If this has been discussed before, just point me to the link, no time to look right now, so thought I would ask.
    Thanks

2. Default Kids table

This post has legs that were built but they were not round other than a crayon design. Go to post 1 to see the pics. Its really nice.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ght=kids+table

Quote Originally Posted by gregsolano View Post
    This post has legs that were built but they were not round other than a crayon design. Go to post 1 to see the pics. Its really nice.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ght=kids+table
    Thanks, but I was looking for something that would give a more round look, like it was done on a lathe. I'll have to mess with it when I have time and see what i can come up with, just thought someone on here would of tried/made some.

Actually - If you had Ed's Rotary Jig you could do it by segments. If you can glue canes together why not table legs!

You could have some nice relief carvings in them as well. A little planning and go for it!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron B View Post
    Can you carve table legs on the CW? I was thinking about it, since i don't have a lathe, wondered if its possible to carve 1/2 the round profile on one side and then the same thing on the other. Didn't know if I could just start with a thick blank 2x2 or something and have it carve away at it.

If this has been discussed before, just point me to the link, no time to look right now, so thought I would ask.
    Thanks
    Yes you could do that on the CW unit. I would build a Jig (Sled) to carve the legs on all four sides. There are STL patterns for the legs I don't have the STL program so I used MeshLab to make the pattern. The MPC file is too large to post on this forum - PM me with your e-mail and I will send you the pattern file. I make the legs in one peace 3X3 x 30 inches. You can also cut the mortise for the apron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Table Leg02.jpg   Table Leg023-ML.jpg   Table Leg023-cw.jpg   Table Leg023-PE.jpg  

Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

6. Default

Since the maximum carve thickness is .8 for the machine, you could only make a table leg about 1.6 inches thick if you wanted to keep the roundness of it proportional. Thats considering that you have a board that thick and you do a double sided carve. Also it would be kind of tricky to get the precise roundness since you are importing it and possibly scaling the pattern in Designer.

Doing a four sided carve is not something That I can coment on but it sounds kind of hard to do also. It would take some learning to do that.

It may be difficult to do a leg but possible.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Malmstrom; 01-15-2012 at 08:31 PM.

With a four sided carve you could almost get 2 3/4 inch radius. (2.731)
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-15-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: radius, not diameter!

Y would U waste so much time waiting to carve 4 four sided carves ??? That's what a lathe is for !!! If U have a dupilicator for the lathe U'd cut all 4 legs by the time U get through step 1 with the carvewright.. Plus there will be a lot of cleanup comin out of the carvewright... Comes off the lathe done ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    Y would U waste so much time waiting to carve 4 four sided carves ??? That's what a lathe is for !!! If U have a dupilicator for the lathe U'd cut all 4 legs by the time U get through step 1 with the carvewright.. Plus there will be a lot of cleanup comin out of the carvewright... Comes off the lathe done ....
    That is true but sometimes all you have is the CW, Sometimes you don't know how to turn something in a lathe, and sometimes you just want to do it a different way. Many great ideas and projects have come from posts like his. I have a hard drive full of cool things done on a cw that no one thought would be possible, all of them came from posts like his.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast