Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Lithopanes be cut using 1/8" thick material??

Default Can Lithopanes be cut using 1/8" thick material??

I followed the lithopane tutorial and it can out great. Just wondering if they can be cut shallower into 1/8" think material instead if 1/4" think?? Let to know the forum members thoughts, so please chime in.

Thanks
    Mabco12
    Mabco12

I've never done it but I would think that it wouldn't be thick enough to give the dark areas enough thickness to be dark enough, I can only picture it as being too light all over. Just my 2¢ worth and I've done lots of litho's.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Sure can, I have some 1/8" Arctic White Corian -- So I did a couple of test carvings on 1/8" x 8" x 12" Plastic cutting Board stock first.
    With no passes more than 3/32" deep the tests came out fine so did the 1/8" Corian Carvings. You won't need as much back lighting.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default 1/8" lithos

All of these were carved in 1/8" material:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radio 3.JPG   litho 002.jpg   LOL Litho2.jpg   pics 008a.jpg  

Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Yeah Ken, you may be right, never really thought about less light behind it to keep it from washing out. Good point.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry,

I'm trying to find a picture of one I did from a photo of two of my grand kids
    a few years ago. It's only 5"x 8" in just a small frame, it was lit with one candle,
    and when the flame flickered it was magical to see how the figures in the litho moved
    and seemed to come alive.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Hi guys and any gals,
    I knew you would come through for me as always. I am teaching middle school students and am introducing litho's to them and want to reduce the carve time and depth will minimize the time per carve. I have 5 machine but a few are in need of repair due to axis and board sensor issues so I will work at getting them up and running. Trying to start a Carvewright carving center at my middle school!!!!! Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks again.

Mabco12
    Mabco12

Where can I get some 1/8" material??
    Mabco12

I get mine here: Delvies Plastics Inc. Plexiglass Sheet Store

www.delviesplastics.com/

But I have the advantage that I can drive down there and get it.

Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

10. Default

What you will find with thinner material is a loss in detail. The true beauty of the lithopane is the contrast. The contrast comes from the variation in the thinness of the material.

Just my thoughts ... if you don't already have 1/8th material what is the purpose to change from 1/4 to 1/8th.

Experiment and have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast