Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for advice-- friend bought a machine with problems

Default looking for advice-- friend bought a machine with problems

Hi all, I have a buddy from another forum that bought a Carvewright recently, in part because of the posts I've been doing for the last couple of years. To make a long story short, he's only had the machine since the Tuesday after Christmas and worked really hard to research/ask questions and get things right before he even powered it up. He got the machine as well as the center line text and conforming vectors.

On his first attempt he couldn't get the machine to unlock. He worked with tech support and discovered it was a faulty card.... it would be until the following week until he got his card, so I express mailed him out an extra card for him to use over the weekend.

His spirits high, he did his first carve and it turned out very well. (the tutorial shell) and then managed another very nice little project.

His next project was to be the dust collector (fletcher's) I sent him the MPC as well as a link to the forum post. We had a good talk on the phone and I walked him through a troubleshooting (his board was .748 thick versus .75) and he got to carving.

I got an email this morning that he got an Z axis stall a quarter way through the project.... he seemed very concerned.

Tonight I came home and got a message that tech support thinks the motor needs to be replaced. If he wants to return it, there would be a 10% restocking fee and he would have to pay shipping both ways.

I can't help but think that a machine under warranty (less than a month and only a couple of projects) should be covered completely--it should function properly through the warranty period or can be returned. I'm very close to telling him to try again and then just let the credit card lawyers sort it out. I hate to do this though, but I am very confident that he did the things he was supposed to do before using his machine-- from an extra 8 inches on the boards to masking tape on the bottoms.... he read and did the research and sought out help from me before and during use... but he simply had had nothing but problems. He's still excited about the machine and would like to try out another, but this one has just been nothing but issues from moment one. With under a month and only a couple of hours use I know I wouldn't want to be changing out motors--

What should my advice to him be? I really want folks' experiences with this machine to be as awesome as mine has been and am unsure which way to point him.

Lawrence

So this is a brand new machine that has a faulty card and a dead motor and they want a restocking fee?! Really!? I would think that it would be in somebodies best interest to get this worked out and worked out quickly! I would think that they should replace the machine. At very least they should ship it to and from LHR on their dime and get it fixed. These things aren't cheap and an unhappy customer is poison for business.

I guess I'm glad that we bought a refurbished unit with no expectations. We had some problems but because it wasn't brand new we were expecting it.

Had we bought a brand new one and couldn't get through two or three carves without a failure I'd be P****d.

It's kind of weird that it seems that people get machines that just work great or they don't work at all. It really seems to be a problem with the new "C" type which one would think would be much better.

Oh well, enough rant. I love mine. It needs some TLC but it is still working great.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I have to agree with jaroot 100%. Maybe Connie will read this thread and she can help do something for him. It may be a total misunderstanding with tech support people. But yeah they should do something like RIGHT NOW.....
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to be a bash-- I guess I'll cut to the chase-

If a machine is under warranty (and with less than 2 hours cut time) is it the customer's responsibility to replace a motor if it goes bad (even if they send out a new motor), or should LHR get them a good machine? In my mind this is like buying a new car and the starter motor going out after a week and the company saying "we'll mail you a new one and help you install it over the phone" Am I wrong here?

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 01-09-2012 at 07:25 PM.

I guess that was the point of my post. LHR should get the machine fixed. I've not read the warrenty but I can't imagine that the customer is responsible for the labor.

And I don't think that asking for $170 to ship the machine back and forth really shouldn't be the customers responsibility either.
    Last edited by jaroot; 01-09-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Default LHR has been notified

Connie has beed notified. Texas has had a bad storm, so it may be a little while for the contacts to be accomplished. Let's all give the LHR staff a little time!

Lawrence, you may help by sending a PM to Connie with the friends name.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Great idea Bud--thanks. I'm confident that LHR can take care of this the right way.

Lawrence

The quality control is not consistant with these machines,, That's Y some work great and some r nuttin but trouble... Put Americans to work and build the Machines here instead of CHINA !!! Problem Solved !!!

And LHR should be shipping him a new machine with a return shipping label for the defective one.. It's Called Customer service ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I'll look into it tomorrow and see what we can do to resolve your friends issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 01-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thank you Connie-- I wasn't meaning to start a bash-session- just curious about the warranty policy. On second thought I probably should have come to you guys first before bringing it up here on the forum. I appreciate it and hope everyone is safe and dry from the storms.

Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast