Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Rotary Patterns

Thanks Bud for the info. I figured you did but could not tell for sure from the pictures. Next one give a 360 view if you can and keep up the great work!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default 3rd Rail for Ed's Rotary Jig

For those that have purchased Ed's Rotary Jig, I've engineered a 3rd Rail.

This rail moves to allow various shorter lengths of dowel stock to be carved without having to glue up pieces to the standard 14 inch length. It also allows for better control of items you might scan (without doing massive glue-ups).

The 971 MB video presentation I've made shows how this is accomplished by the user. I offer this lesson as my gift to you. I would rather not produce these 3rd Rails. I feel they are easy to make and the parts cost is minimal for this DIY project.

I used two T-nuts and two Knobs. The knobs were a bear to locate (for me). I ended up finding them at Grainger's. They are called: Three Prong Knob, 1-1/8,1/4-20x1-1/2 PS. The part number is: 6AXG6.
    AskBud
    http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-...Rotary Jig.zip

Last edited by AskBud; 06-05-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Bud

Since I can't work on my machine tonight, I down loaded to lesson on the 3rd rail. That is very interesting. Question why not simply put a slot in the two end boards that Ed has and then we can slide it back and forth.
    I hope you take this as a question, because I appreciate everything you do for the forum.

Thanks Great job.

Leo

Default 3rd Rail for Ed's Rotary Jig

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    Bud

Since I can't work on my machine tonight, I down loaded to lesson on the 3rd rail. That is very interesting. Question why not simply put a slot in the two end boards that Ed has and then we can slide it back and forth.
    I hope you take this as a question, because I appreciate everything you do for the forum.

Thanks Great job.

Leo
    Leo,
    For the benefit of those that do not have this Rotary Jig, allow me to state the following. The ends of the Rotary jig are open. Look again at the photo on the LHR ad. This is where the two pieces of 3/4 stock is placed for the Knob to travel between (and compress against). The 3rd Rail spans the length of the jig, and moves from the keyboard to the non-keyboard rails. This 3rd Rail is removed when using the standard 14" dowel, and only in place as you carve or scan shorter pieces. If, and when, you purchase a jig from Ed, will you fully understand the concept.

I understand your question. I did consider the idea of securing the 3rd Rail from the top of the jig, but needed something that eliminated a need for another loose tool to get mis-placed. This concept also further limited the diameter of stock I could handle as well. I wanted the knobs as my compression tools. I also wanted to make the DIY project easier for the end user, avoiding compromising Ed's original jig.

With this 3rd rail offering, like many ideas and patents, my final 3rd Rail product comes after engineering something that meets our need to avoid waste and improve quality. It's my way of better being able to use all those cut-off pieces of dowel or to scan short models.
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 05-31-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

5. Default

Ed are your rotary patterns located as rotary patterns in a special file or are they in the regular depot Thanks Bert

Bert, "I" don't offer patterns for the Rotary Jig. In my home business, (Cane Making) I use the regular patterns and the Rotary Jig wraps them around the wood that I am carving. I do believe that "Ask Bud" has some Rotary Jig patterns, including chess pieces, in the pattern depot. And, possibly some others may have patterns made especially for the Rotary jig.
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Here is some of the patterns I located

http://store.carvewright.com/search....=search&page=1

8. Default

Bud ,Do you have a duck call pattern for the rotary jig?. Thanks Bert

Quote Originally Posted by papawbummie View Post
    Bud ,Do you have a duck call pattern for the rotary jig?. Thanks Bert
    Sorry Bert,
    I have none, nor have i seen one offered.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Bert how about this one. First image is what it will look like after carving. Second is what it looks like in designer.
    Took me about 5 minutes to make this one. Longer to remember how to make the rotary pattern from the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails duck-call-d.jpg   duck-call-r.jpg  
    Last edited by eelamb; 09-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast