Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Rotary Patterns

Default Making Rotary Patterns

I'm starting to try my hand at making Rotary Patterns.
    I've had the jig since it was introduced, but have not used it until today. I wanted to scan my own model from the start. I have some ideas for chess pieces as beginning projects. I'll scan the models, apply to a MPC and prove they work well before I offer any patterns or MPCs. I'm finding little secrets that cause problems. I'll resolve them as I go along.

So far, I've scanned the knight shown below and laid out the MPC. My first carve blew up half way through (saw dust jamb, I think). There is no forgiveness! I've got to build Ed's dust box (it fits in the rear, as the dowel turns that way rather than toward the front).

I've scanned the King, Queen, and Bishop, but did not like the bulges from the hot glue over run. So. I'll trim the glue and re scan (It's about a 6 hour scan).

Hopefully, in a few days, I'll have a good product!
    AskBud
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan of Rotary Knight.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	463.5 KB 
ID:	50181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotary Knight MPC view.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	50182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan of Rotary King Queen and Bishop.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	443.1 KB 
ID:	50183

Just for kicks, before you ask! The tape on the scanning probe is my way to extend the life of the probe. The wire breaks down where it leaves the probe (from all the movement). Rolling it back to the chuck, and securing it there negates that particular problem. The other weak spot, for the probe, is the mini connector at the end of the probe and extension wire. It needs a touch of WD-40 before the start of each day. Perhaps, some day, LHR will resolve these two issues (they have a ticket on the need to change to a single cord, and address the exit point problem at the probe. In the mean time, be advised that you may get a second life from your probe, with a little tape (How is your stock Al?).
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 01-04-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Probe note
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

2. Default

Now that is an awesome idea ....

I like It, -- I have a couple of Chess Sets made of plastic, plus a Lewis Set like the photo below,
    that are made of some kind of man made marble resin, that I would like to to scan and carve.
    Thanks for sharing you idea and info, please post more photos as you progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lewis Chest Set.png  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Bud,
    In the first picture the eyes are inset, in the second they are raised. Is this an illusion or is that correct? It has been a long night here so it could be my eyes!

Looks good! I am working on some different stuff for the rotary jig as well. As soon as I get it finished I will post it.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    Bud,
    In the first picture the eyes are inset, in the second they are raised. Is this an illusion or is that correct? It has been a long night here so it could be my eyes!

Looks good! I am working on some different stuff for the rotary jig as well. As soon as I get it finished I will post it.
    Yes, it is an illusion. The snap of the MPC can fool you, unless you move you angle of view left or right. It's like the picture of the old/young lady that you came across from time to time.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    I like It, -- I have a couple of Chess Sets made of plastic, plus a Lewis Set like the photo below,
    that are made of some kind of man made marble resin, that I would like to to scan and carve.
    Thanks for sharing you idea and info, please post more photos as you progress.
    I think I'll design my own Knight and Pawns, rather than trying to use the Lewis pieces (the knight is too wide, perhaps just a horse head).
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

OK.. You have me looking for a Old/Young lady now! I hate it when that happens!!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Here she is... look from the top then the bottom.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Default Making and testing pattern

OK!
    I've finished the Rotary Knight scan and carve (1/5/2012).
    First I'll point out things I've learned.
    1)
    When you bring the scan in to Pattern editor, remove the bright green border as it will cause an unwanted plunge to the bottom depth of the carve.
    2) Before you bring the pattern on to the board, be sure to un check the Scaling box at the bottom of the library list.
    3) I left the depth alone.
    4) I made my design board slightly less than my pattern width. In my case the pattern was 7.14 and I set the board to 6.898 (I used 6.9, but it went the the lower number).
    5) I feel that the use of the Optimal carve is a must for the rotary carve. It takes more time but avoids taking too big of a bite out of the stock, which could make it rotate out of place (OOPs, that is why my first test happened).
    6) If you feel that your dowel has too much play, on the Y-axis, use a flat washer the remove that play. We want it free to roll, but not loose enough to move left & right.
    7) Since I have not made Ed's vacuum box, and I do have a top mounted vacuum head, I redirected the muffler in to the rear of the jig. I pointed the flow at the non-keyboard side. That kept me from having a sawdust build-up at the worst spot. I never stopped the unit, but I did use another air source every once in a while to blow the area.

I've, also, talked with Ed about limiting the depth of his pre-drilled holes to 1 inch. For the type of carve lay-out, I do not want a hole in the end of my carved item.
    AskBud
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muffler rerouted into the rotary jig.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	466.9 KB 
ID:	50192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotary Knight almots finished.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	50194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotary Knight just finished.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	446.5 KB 
ID:	50195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotary Knight before and after.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	444.5 KB 
ID:	50196
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Looks pretty good but it looks like the depth was not right. The carved bishop looks smaller than the scanned one. Any idea why?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast