Thread: Making Rotary Patterns

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Making Rotary Patterns

I'm starting to try my hand at making Rotary Patterns.
    I've had the jig since it was introduced, but have not used it until today. I wanted to scan my own model from the start. I have some ideas for chess pieces as beginning projects. I'll scan the models, apply to a MPC and prove they work well before I offer any patterns or MPCs. I'm finding little secrets that cause problems. I'll resolve them as I go along.

So far, I've scanned the knight shown below and laid out the MPC. My first carve blew up half way through (saw dust jamb, I think). There is no forgiveness! I've got to build Ed's dust box (it fits in the rear, as the dowel turns that way rather than toward the front).

I've scanned the King, Queen, and Bishop, but did not like the bulges from the hot glue over run. So. I'll trim the glue and re scan (It's about a 6 hour scan).

Hopefully, in a few days, I'll have a good product!
    AskBud
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan of Rotary Knight.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	463.5 KB 
ID:	50181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotary Knight MPC view.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	50182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan of Rotary King Queen and Bishop.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	443.1 KB 
ID:	50183

Just for kicks, before you ask! The tape on the scanning probe is my way to extend the life of the probe. The wire breaks down where it leaves the probe (from all the movement). Rolling it back to the chuck, and securing it there negates that particular problem. The other weak spot, for the probe, is the mini connector at the end of the probe and extension wire. It needs a touch of WD-40 before the start of each day. Perhaps, some day, LHR will resolve these two issues (they have a ticket on the need to change to a single cord, and address the exit point problem at the probe. In the mean time, be advised that you may get a second life from your probe, with a little tape (How is your stock Al?).
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 01-04-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Probe note
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29