Thread: Z axis stall

Default Z axis stall

This is the first problem I have had for over a year. Yesterday a got a Z axis stall. The bit truck was stiff in the up and down movement. I thought I might havbe a frozen bearing. I took the truck apart cleaned and checked the bearings. I didn't have a bad bearing but there was a couple that felt a little dry so I changed them with bearings off of another truck i had. Now I have truck moving again. Now I have the truck go through the bit check but when it goes to the bit plate it does not touch the bit plate. It goes through the bit check for the same bit all over again. It will not go to the next bit. Can someone let me know what the problem is or what to check for.

Thanks for any help Stan v

Stan,

Does the bit plate come out all the way for the bit to touch it? When you had the truck off did you check the two white gears for the Z belt? The shafts eventually get a build up causing a drag on the Z movement.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yes the bit plate comes out all the way. the bit goes over the bit plate but does not go all the way down. It stays about 1/2 inch above the plate. Then it goes through the set up again. I also checked the gears and they were clean.

Why the bit is stopping is that the Current Sensor for the Z is on and as soon as it feels a speed bump or touches the plate, it reverses. So there might be a new chunk of dust on the rail or a chip of wood dust inside the belt cogs or motor or return pulley cogs.

I would remove the back of the Z Motor and blow the dust out...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

i have a new machine from my brother who has pasted he never got to use it now im going to try and i keep geting error 246 what do i do?

I just found the problem this weekend. I ordered new bearings thinking that I had stiff bearing. I changed the bearings and could not adjust the bearings without the z truck stiffing up. With closer inspection I found that screws that hold the belt to the truck had back out. They rubbing on the side of the housing making the z truck hard to move.
    So if anyone has the same problem check to make sure the screws are tight.

Stanv